One scared pre-op (LIS) newcomer

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

One scared pre-op (LIS) newcomer

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 26 Apr 2013, 21:47

Hi guys! I've been lurking on the boards for the past few weeks but only now plucked up the courage to join. I've been suffering from a chronic fissure for the past few months- for me, the pain never really goes away, and I get these awful searing jolts of pain in my rectum. I've tried everything I can think of to heal naturally and manage the pain- you name it, sitz baths, Vicks vaporub, witch hazel-infused ice cubes, nitroglycerin ointment. Stool softener, prune juice, fiber, water, tucks, prep h, metamucil, epsom salt. All that fun stuff. Anyway, I've decided to go in for LIS surgery on Monday. I have to say that I'm really scared- on top of being demoralized from all the pain. I'm worried that the CRS will need to do a more radical surgery on me than he intends- but maybe that's just me being paranoid because my fissure pain is constant. Does anyone have any pre- or post-op advice for me or my husband (who will be my nurse)? How much blood do I need to brace myself for? What is the best post-op food to eat?
I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the support and comfort this board has given to me during one of the bleakest times of my life. I'm so thankful that this resource is here for people otherwise suffering in silence!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: One scared pre-op (LIS) newcomer

Postby owmybum » 28 Apr 2013, 15:56

Hi,
I have not had the surgery, but just wanted to wish you luck for your op tomorrow.
I would really eat soft, easy to digest/ pass foods for the first few days... Things like soups, chicken and veg, steamed fish. Just keep it light but nutritious. Stewed fruits, oats etc... Drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated, and take a stool softener like mirilax/movicol.
Lots of rest too... Let your hubby look after you!!
Good luck and please let us know how you are doing!
OMB xxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Re: One scared pre-op (LIS) newcomer

Postby Guest » 03 May 2013, 09:37

We havn't forgotten about you Ceeteefeebs.
How did the op go. Never had it but of course you will want to keep your stools soft as you can. I would try the vaseline lub job before bm's and shower or sitz tub after.
GL & KU posted