HOW MANY FISSURES? AND AGE?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

HOW MANY FISSURES? AND AGE?

Postby ravians » 05 May 2013, 03:56

I was wondering that how many fissures a fissure sufferer can have. Actually I went to a surgeon n after examining he said u should lay down n let my knife ease ur pain immediately. I requested him to plz let me think on it he said ok but do decide ASAP before ur anus is full of fissures.
he was right I delayed it around 2 weeks n I got two more fissures. it may b due to the fact that my sphincter was in much spasm n stools were relatively hard.
I want to ask that how many fissures do u people have n for how long u r suffering from those fissure problem. n y didn't u people opt for surgery.
it's kind of survey on the basis of which I want to establish a conclusion that may help people to decide for surgery. I will b thankful for ur participation.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Re: HOW MANY FISSURES? AND AGE?

Postby bgd » 05 May 2013, 05:45

39, one fissure, but large, over half of an inch. From what I read most of the people here have 1-2 fissures.
If you had the power to say no, it means your pain is not unbearable yet? I had moments when I begged for surgery, only I didn't have the power and the guts to go to ER and ask for it. So I just kept dwelling in the pain.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby ravians » 05 May 2013, 07:29

tx bgd for ur reply. hope that more people will come n ans the q.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 May 2013, 02:30

Morning Ravians!
I was 39 also when I developed my fissure (now 40)
It's chronic and 1 year & 5 months old (but pretty manageable - some issues now & again with the Sentinel pile) I believe I have just the one fissure, pretty small (not 100% here but about 1cm? in width), internal and located to my left-hand side and it came about through possibly IBS (after a stressful house relocation) probably not helped by a long natural birth and definitely poor toilet habits (pushing & straining)
Would NOT consider LIS unless it really was my final option as I am certain I can get through this - when, is another question!! LOL. I don't believe surgery is the immediate solution for this, unless you are really suffering and have a really nasty fissure(s) that just can't be healed by other methods first, and sadly, some do fall in that into that category....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby ravians » 06 May 2013, 02:55

TX OPTIMIST, hmmmm ....
I have consulted 4 crs n 2 consultant physicians they all have the same opinion that when there's a fissure n it doesn't heal in a month or two n spasm is persistent then patient shud decide immediately for surgery as delaying it will further sensitize the area resulting in more complications.
but still not everyones case is the same case. so v know our bodies n v have to decide considering what our body wants us to do with it.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby kelzak2000 » 06 May 2013, 06:57

I'm 25 and had 1. My whole life I've had BM's only every 3-4 days so knowing what I know now, I was doomed. Having a hubby and son now that goe 4-5 times a day, I know how abnormal my schedule was.
kelzak2000

Postby ravians » 06 May 2013, 07:02

tx kelzak n sorry to hear about ur fissure. r u taking healthy cb fiber rich diet now
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 06 May 2013, 10:16

Currently Late 40's no fissures almost 2 years; 1st fissure mid 20's; retears and new fissures off and on for next 20+ years.
Generally one fish at a time occasionaly binary fissure.
How many fish at one time: probably just 2
How many fish total over the years counting re-tears: probably 120+/-
Never went to a Dr.
HTH gL
Last edited by Guest on 06 May 2013, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add

Postby ravians » 06 May 2013, 10:31

tx buttastic. interesting info that u managed ur fissure n u never visited a Dr great inspiration. wish u fissure free life for ever.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Luka » 06 May 2013, 13:47

I am 29 and have (as far as I know) one fissure. It seems a bit large and I'm not sure how much the Diltiazem helped. My CRS never got a very good look at it because I was so tense and most decent CRS's won't do an anoscopy when you have an active fissure. I still get pain on and off, but it's bearable and some days I don't have any pain at all. It's more of a burning, slightly throbbing pain. Unlike many others on here, I don't have pain during bowel movements; I just have pain afterward. I believe stress and loose stools caused mine, as well as shy bowel syndrome. I rarely get constipated and have a very healthy diet.
From what I've read, most fissures will heal on their own without surgery. It's just a matter of how long you're willing to wait for them to fully heal. LIS is an option if the fissure has trouble healing and if people are in horrible pain. I don't believe all fissures need LIS after 2 months of not fully healing. People have healed after having fissures for years without surgery, so it can happen. It is when a lot of scar tissue builds up over time from repeated healing and re-tearing that causes problems with healing that you will probably need surgery (fissurectomy and LIS).
For myself, I can't afford LIS (at least, not right now). I don't have health insurance and am currently unemployed, so I would have a lot of trouble paying for it. Plus, since my pain is currently manageable and I seem to be getting better (albeit very slowly), I don't feel like the risk of LIS is worth it in my current state. Now, if I had severe pain all the time, I would DEFINITELY consider LIS. As it stands, though, I don't want to risk it and it scares the heck out of me (I'm a total wuss). From what I've read on this forum and other places online, recovery from LIS can either be a complete breeze or a nightmare. I don't want to take that chance right now and risk pain that is far worse than what I'm experiencing now. Just my personal choice.
After a few more months, I'll see how I'm doing and decide from there with my CRS. For now, though, I prefer to see how I do without LIS.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38