Question for the females...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Question for the females...

Postby erMINI » 07 May 2013, 07:12

I am scheduled for LIS tomorrow morning. I've never had any surgery before (although I am well-versed in colonoscopies). I got my period this morning. Should I postpone? Seems like a much trickier recovery with "all those things" going on down there. I'm going to call the surgeon's office although something tells me they won't care.
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Question for the females...

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 07 May 2013, 11:46

Wow, good question. I'd wondered the same thing for me but got lucky. It wouldn't hurt to call your CRS. But I reckon they won't care... Mine didn't even require me to bowel prep before surgery (guess they did it for me?) You'll likely wear a maxi paid for several days after your procedure anyway just to be on the safe side re: your clothing. I don't know if it would help or hurt to also wear a tampon so that your surgical site doesn't get aggravated from the menstrual flow- I was ask your CRS (and be sure to post the answer here for future LISers!). Best of luck to you on your procedure and wishing you a very speedy recovery. :)
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Davo » 07 May 2013, 14:56

Ok, I'm not female but this was one of the frequently asked questions on my LIS admission notes. It said that being on your period makes no difference to the procedure and should not be a concern.
Good Luck with your surgery.
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby erMINI » 07 May 2013, 20:51

I called the CRS office and the receptionist told me she was "sure" it'd be OK, that I could keep the appointment as long as I was wearing a tampon. I've been using the Keeper ( http://www.keeper.com ) for about 15 years now, but thought it might be too, um, complicated when there's so much stuff going on. So I made a trip to the tampon aisle for the first time in a billion years. Hello all you males who are grossed out by this! :)
"Worst" case: they give me the drugs and THEN evaluate that we have to postpone. Those 12 seconds before the IV meds kick in are sublime. It's what makes yearly colonoscopies worthwhile. Well, that and getting clean results, of course.
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 08 May 2013, 14:18

Oh, those poor men reading this! Inflicted with too much knowledge of poop AND lady problems. But thank goodness we are talking about this... If it helps one woman googling this, it is so well worth it.
How did it go today? How are you feeling?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby erMINI » 09 May 2013, 00:18

Surgeon said it went well. I haven't needed any of the oxycodone so far. I guess the pain is similar to how it's been lately after I poop, so...at least I know I can handle it. By the way, girls, they don't let you use your tampon OR your pad. They gave me a pair of hilarious mesh boyshorts and their own 1970s huge pad. I guess it's a sterile thing, makes sense I suppose. It's 2am and I'm going to take my first warm bath. I hope this keeps being easier than I thought it'd be! I'm a little nervous about the first poop, but there's no point in that since it's going to be what it's going to be :D
Edit:
OH! And thanks you guys -- for the support and kind words. People are so nice on this board, even with all the suffering you go through.
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 09 May 2013, 01:53

Glad things went well for you, and there weren't any issues.
Hope your first bm is a soft one!!
Keep us posted on your recovery !!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby erMINI » 10 May 2013, 06:21

Thank you!! Last week I pooped twice (the whole week) so I'm not expecting any action, soft or otherwise, for a few days. I'd never been constipated before but I think poop is afraid of my butt these days. I would be, if I were poop.
Pain has been less than 1 the whole time, I need to get in and out of cars slowly, but otherwise I don't see any need to change anything. Wash gently, of course, keep a constant coating of dibucaine...
When the hospital nurse called to check on me the morning after, she said something about making sure I take the stool softener the CRS prescribed. Only...he didn't say anything about that, just gave the rx for oxycodone (still haven't needed any of those). I called CRS office and they were also surprised that I hadn't been given a softener. A quick check with the surgeon and they told me to take Colace. So..I've been doing that. Do these things really work?
Question:
*If* the first bm is hard, will it tear out the stitches or just hurt like a Mommy? Or both?
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Postby erMINI » 11 May 2013, 05:26

haha "hurt like a Mommy"--guess they don't let you type everything you might want to type on the Fissure forum.
I pooped last night around 9pm! It was soft enough (thanks colace and fruit) that I survived. It's been very sore ever since (it's now 7:30am). Not sore enough to take oxy, but sore enough that I need to be VERY careful moving. I got this pillow called a "Kabooti" -- check it out. I've been using it for driving, love it.
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Postby erMINI » 14 May 2013, 10:54

6 days later--can move freely again. Occasional bouts of itchiness are bothersome but helped lots by a 5-10 minute soak in plain water, a hairdryer and some dibucaine ointment. I haven't swum in a few months (I usually swim laps 3-4x a week) and hope to be back in the water by this weekend.
erMINI
Fibre Addict