Hopeless

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Hopeless

Postby littlebutterfly » 09 May 2013, 08:51

Had LIS last Friday and fissurectomy to remove a pile. Very little improvement. In so much pain. Eating very minimal as the bathroom traumatizes me and causes all day pain. Want to die. The burning and stabbing internally and externally is so intense. On a different note is it normal that the external tissue he cut is white? This is hell on earth.
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Re: Hopeless

Postby jr2 » 09 May 2013, 11:09

littlebutterfly
I'm so sorry you're having such a painful recovery period. But honestly, it's been less than a week since your surgery and pretty much most members who have had both fissurectomy and LIS at the same time have reported a very rough recovery time for the first few weeks. Most people feel like they turn the corner somewhere around the third or fourth week. Time, of course, feels like it's moving so slowly when you're in so much pain.
Do you have painkillers?
As far as the white area, it's always best to direct these kinds of concerns with your surgeon, but wounds go through all kinds of stages and appearances as they heal. Usually, as long as you aren't seeing something that looks like it is getting more inflamed, swollen, or is oozing it is probably just a typical stage of healing.
I'm holding on to hope for you during this time when you can't hold it for yourself because the day is going to come, sooner than you think right now, when you will feel it again.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 09 May 2013, 13:20

Sorry your suffering so much after surgery. Jr is right though.... It's very early days, and you have had a lot of work done.
What pain meds are you taking? Could you ask your dr for something stronger?
Don't give up hope.... You will soon turn that corner!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby suzyljank » 09 May 2013, 21:44

Hi, the white tissue you see could be muscle or fatty tissue. I have two areas on my butt where they took skin grafts for advancement flaps and they were cut down to the fatty tissue. I take 1 norco 5-325, 1 zofran (for nausea) and 1 Valium, plus a regular dose of miralax before bed. They don't take away all the pain but they make me sleepy so I'll take it. I was offered stronger pain meds but I don't like to feel spacey so I didn't get the prescriptions filled. Also you have to be mindful of constipation.
I can really relate to your pain, it's ruthless. Hopefully it won't last too long and you'll find yourself on the road to recovery. Please call your doctor if you can't take the pain. He will help you manage it. Even cutting it in half helps. All my prayers and well wishes Suzy now 2 weeks out from double advancement flap surgery.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 09 May 2013, 22:01

Oh, so sorry for your suffering! I really hope you are finding things improving and getting the help you need for pain control. You've been through the surgery, just do the best self-care you can and wait for your body to do it's thing. Easy for me to say! I'm probably heading for the same procedure you've had done (my pile keeps re-tearing me, I think), and I hope you'll support me when I'm where you are now! Speaking of that....keep writing your journal or posts and also send out tips to newbies when you can. It will lift your spirits a bit. Hoping, praying and wishing for your recovery! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby suzyljank » 10 May 2013, 05:22

Hi, just pain tired. I'm sorry you're having so much pain. Hemorrhoids are very painful. If I could give any advise at all from my experiences I'd tell people do not have hemorrhoid surgery. This was what started me on this painful journey. It left me with so much scar tissue my poor behind could no longer stretch to accommodate a bowel movement, that's why I kept tearing. I also would not recommend skin tag removal. I know some people have had this done successfully but I have a few friends who didn't heal from the surgery and got another fissure in it's place. It's a very delicate area of our body and the least amount of surgery in that particular area the better. But never give up hope. I waited 5 years to get the advancement flaps because I was scared. It's not that bad, escpecially if you have a good CRS who explains everything. My doctor sat me down, explained everything, drew me pictures and was honest about the pain involved. He was even kind enough to keep me in the hospital until my pain was managed the best we could. I had my surgery on a Friday and came home on a Sunday but he was fully prepared to keep me until Monday if I needed it. So please don't be afraid if your doctor mentions advancement flap. You'd be surprised how much pain you are already in so the surgery itself isn't much more. We're all a lot tougher than we think we are. Just living with fissure pain on a daily basis makes us stronger because it's not an easy thing to do. Please keep me up to date on your progress and if you have to have the flap surgery let me know, I'll be one of your biggest cheerleaders. All my prayers Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby littlebutterfly » 10 May 2013, 06:22

Thank you all very much. I appreciate the support and love.
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 10 May 2013, 11:12

Thanks Suzy for sharing your advice and support! I am thinking of skin tag removal--it just seems to me this has been part of my problem. I just re-tore after walking yesterday! Sitting, too, aggravates my fissure. I have never heard of the skin flap procedure. I'll have to look into it, even though the recovery process sounds difficult! Power to you! Power to Littlebutterfly as well! May we all be doing better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby littlebutterfly » 14 May 2013, 03:28

I want to die. OMG.
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 14 May 2013, 03:58

Littlebutterfly don't give up hope. You need to call your doctor. He should be doing a much better job at managing your pain. You have to let him know how bad you are feeling. The LIS part of your surgery shouldn't be hurting you as much but with the fissurectomy they actually removed the fissure and scar tissue so it gives it a better chance of healing. That will take some time. I had the double flap surgery and they gave me Valium for spasming and norco for pain. I was also give the choice of morphine or percoset but I turned them down but that was my decision. Pain management is a big part of your recovery so please let your doctor know immediately that you need help in that area. I feel so bad for you. I know how frustrating this is but please hang in there. We are all praying for you. Sending you a big hug and all my best wishes Suzy.
suzyljank