Sitting cushion with hole in middle

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Sitting cushion with hole in middle

Postby howtobepositive » 27 May 2013, 00:15

Hey guys,
You know those cushions that have a hole in the middle for sitting on? My pharmacist told me about them but just wondering if they work, especially for prolonged sitting?
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Sitting cushion with hole in middle

Postby ravians » 27 May 2013, 01:24

yea I m using it from last 2 months before n after surgery as well for driving only. can I have to drive sometime for an hour continuously . to me it seems comfortable as it absorbs jerks n bumps while driving but u need to sit on it with partially inflated. otherwise it's of no use. I mean better less than half filled with air. u can try it. for me it's gud.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 27 May 2013, 05:23

I agree with ravians, "need to sit on it with partially inflated".

Postby Rachael 1984 » 27 May 2013, 06:42

Hi HTBP, I ordered one from Amazon, it is memory foam with a hole in the middle(Like a large Doughnut). I found that when my Fissures are painful, i actually feel like it stretches them more.... Sitting on a normal cushion is better for me. Image You could try it though, as everyone is different...... Good luck
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 27 May 2013, 11:02

I've posted before about cushions, as I now own about 10!! I didn't like the donut cushion I bought, but it's not inflatable. The two that have worked best for me are:
1) the one on the Interstitial Cystitis Newtwork website. It has foam under both legs and nothing down the middle. It comes in different densities for different weights.
2) Just a piece of dense foam (found it a while ago at Office Deport)--I use this in my car.
Best of luck! :)
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby suzyljank » 27 May 2013, 11:28

Hi, My CRS said no donut cushions, they put too much tension on the rectum and do more harm than good. They stretch the area and you don't want to stretch a fissure. I've found if you put a small pillow under upper thigh on the side your fissure is on it takes the tension off of it and it feels better.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 May 2013, 13:48

Hi,
Totally agree with Suzy and Rachael......
I bought a Donut specially (also off Amazon) but found far more relief with a soft squidgy pillow that kind of adjusts to how you feel you can sit best rather than being forced to sit in certain way - Those "beany" type ones are really good. I ended up using the Donut but placing a soft pillow on top of it too and that was really comfortable for me....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Savaici » 27 May 2013, 18:10

Agree with the soft squiggly cushion too, and NOT with the donut cushion. Too much pressure and stretch.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Kreaybutt » 27 May 2013, 18:18

What would y'all recommend doing for a flight? I have a 6 hour flight next week and am stressing for my booty! Cushion? Pillow? Ill also have my 6 month old daughter who will probably (good thing) keep me walking the aisles quite a bit
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 27 May 2013, 20:47

I've tried a variety of cushions, including the donut (it seems like people get conflicting advice on whether to use or avoid them, but I'm now proceeding cautiously and avoiding them). What has been working for me is the Carex coccyx cushion (available on Amazon). It's technically for people with bum tailbones and/or in wheelchairs. They have a gap in the back for the tailbone. What I do is flip it around so that the gap is where my crotch is... It's sort of perfect. Really soft. Light with a fabric handle for traveling. I flew a couple weeks ago DC to Detroit and took it with me through the airport. Fit through the security conveyor belt, fit on an airplane seat. The downside is that I got funny looks because it looked exactly like I had run off with an airplane seat. :p I now travel with a "flotation device."
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11