Serious question..

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Serious question..

Postby Kreaybutt » 28 May 2013, 06:12

Does Miralax make you lose weight?? I know laxatives do but I thought miralax was different.. I've been taking it a little less than a month and I've lost more weight. Not sure if its due to the Miralax or the very healthy diet AND breast feeding. My metabolism is already so quick, before af I'd lose a lb if I skipped one meal! Really hoping its not the Miralax because its been such a life saver.
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: Serious question..

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 May 2013, 12:24

Hi
No - Miralax does not make you lose weight directly - It's far more likely to be the general change in your diet and the fact you're eating healthier than before and cutting out some of the higher calorie-laden foods AND the breast feeding, so I really wouldn't worry about that! I think you'll find a lot of us on this site lose a LOT of weight whilst dealing with a fissure!! I personally lost 2 stone, which is a lot - Seems to be going back on a bit now though!! .........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby jr2 » 28 May 2013, 17:46

Laxatives don't really cause significant weight loss. They can temporarily seem to as a person loses more fluids and stool, particularly if they are taking a high enough amount to cause diarrhea, but this weight loss is due to dehydration and loss of stool, not loss of muscle or fat.
If you have a metabolism that is fast anyway, and you are breastfeeding, and you have modified your diet to be eating lower calorie foods (like veggies), you probably need to look for higher calorie foods you can tolerate to keep your weight in a healthy range.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Kreaybutt » 28 May 2013, 18:21

Thanks for the reply guys! Or gals! Do you have advice on any high calorie foods that are safe for us? I already eat on a daily basis, nuts, an avocado, butter on everything, peanut butter or almond butter and a shake in the am. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!! :)
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 28 May 2013, 22:46

Are you vegetarian or do you eat proteins? Eggs, chicken fish and the like. I haven't had any constipating effects with these and they fill you up! (when eaten with veggies and water). My usual dinner is a saute of protein, brown rice and veggie in a healthy oil. Cheese can be constipating but I use just a little as garnish (shredded cheddar or parmesian). I suggest more olive or grape seed oil and less butter (just a little for taste!). :)
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Kreaybutt » 29 May 2013, 05:46

Just 'pain' tired- I do eat meat no red meat though. I have chicken, salmon and sometime shrimp. I like eggs, ill start those in too! Less butter you say?? I love my butter! :( lol
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 29 May 2013, 12:43

If you're having trouble with holding on to weight I would not decrease butter right now.
It could be worth doing an actual calorie count of the number of calories you are eating a day. It can give you a better picture of how much you would need to increase in order to hold your weight and prevent any more unwanted weight loss. It might just be a matter of adding a couple extra tablespoons of a nut butter or a small increase in portion size, or adding just one more smoothie.
jr2

Topics: 15