Had "fissure repair" and one hemorrhoid removed today

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Had "fissure repair" and one hemorrhoid removed today

Postby ekiM » 30 May 2013, 00:15

This board has been an amazing source of info, so I thought I'd share my surgery experience so far...
The procedure was at 12pm today(5/29). I was in and out in 3 hours. The hospital was great. I received a lot of meds for pain including :hydromorphone(for severe pain), oxycodone(for moderate pain), and Valium (it was working great pre-op for spasms).
I was also told to take Metamucil and milk of magnesia. I've been taking Konsyl fiber and docusate sodium and its been working well, so I'm not sure if I will do the milk of magnesia unless I hit the pain meds hard. Sitz baths 4-5 time a day also, which I already did anyways.
Which brings me to another situation. It's been 11 hours since surgery, and I'm still in no pain(have not had a BM either). Ive taken no pain meds at all and how much they gave me scared me to be honest. I'm just wondering how long it has taken others to feel pain? There was a local numbing agent used, but I really thought it would have worn off by now.
So there's where I'm at... And still dreading my first pains and poop.
ekiM

Topics: 1

Re: Had "fissure repair" and one hemorrhoid removed today

Postby jillywilly » 30 May 2013, 04:35

Hi there I had my fissurectomy & Botox 1 week ago & I didn't feel any significant pain at all when I got home & I didn't take any of the pain killers given to me by the hospital (even though they told me to take them regularly as soon as I got home) I was given local anaesthetic at the site during the procedure & this did last a good 12 hours. I started to get a bit of a discomfort the next day when I moved but it was much milder than I'd expected. My 1st bm was quite painful but again not as bad as the pain before the op, however my 2nd bm was very painful think it was just bigger than the 1st & maybe I was sat too long on the toilet but I did need to take pain killers after that & I was confined to bed all day cos it really hurt when I moved. That's as far as I have got at the moment, havnt had another bm yet probably as I havnt had much of an appetite. Wishing you all the best with your recovery, just be guided by how you feel & take pain killers if you need to.
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby ekiM » 31 May 2013, 01:08

Thanks jilly. Are you back to work yet? I'm hoping for 7 days off and then back to carpentry work. We'll see...
I took some pain killers an hour after my last post. There was a lot of pressure down there and the nurse told me I wanted to stay ahead of the pain. Took some more at 5am and fell back asleep. Woke up at 9:30 with a LOT of pressure down there, not really pain, but I knew something was on the way and took more painkillers. Then I was in the bathroom for about 4 hours. It was pure hell. I was on the toilet for hours. It was bathtub-toilet-sitz bath-toilet-walk around-toilet. Finally, after many bloody little nuggets and cold sweats and why me?, I said screw it and pushed a little and it all came out. It felt great. A sitz bath after and a shower, and all has been good since (day 2). No more painkillers for me, I must be lucky too, bc it's just uncomfortable, not really painful (knock on wood). Felt a little spasm so I'm glad I have the Valium, it helps me sleep hard too.
ekiM

Topics: 1

Postby jillywilly » 31 May 2013, 01:42

Really glad to hear everything seems to be working out ok for you, long may it continue! I'm still off work, the hospital gave me a sick certificate signing me off work for 2 weeks & told me not to necessarily feel ready to go back to work after that & as I work in health care they are pretty understanding about my problems & so I won't be rushing back any time soon! I'm still having bad pain after each bm & having to lie down but it is early days still & so I'm hoping each day will get a little better until hey presto I'm healed!! Can't wait to get my life back & enjoy doing things with my family again, my kids are so fed up with hearing me say I can't do that cos my bum hurts!!
Lots of healing hugs to you
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 12