LIS survivor but going through a weird problem now

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

LIS survivor but going through a weird problem now

Postby brooke1234 » 04 Jun 2013, 14:19

I was diagnosed with an anal fissure when I was 19 years old. I lived in tremendous pain for a few years. I was too embarrassed to go to the doctor but I finally did and I went through the LIS procedure when I was 21 years old. I am now 26 and the surgery has greatly improved my life.
However, I do want to ask for your advice about something. I have noticed now that each time like 10 minutes after I have BM my rectum itches and I feel discomfort and a little bit of pain. When I feel this I go back to the bathroom and wipe a few more times and once I am completely clean the itching and pain ceases. Is it possible that I now have an allergic reaction to waste?
This is a daily occurrence. Sometimes I have to make numerous trips back to the bathroom just to wipe. Now I clean the area as much as possible after the BM but I always have to go back now. Also, if there is a lot of pain I usually find blood on the TP. Is it possible that I am bleeding from a skin allergy or is possible that a fissure has come back? I am curious if anyone has experienced this issue after LIS surgery. I do feel better once I am completely clean (usually after 2 trips back to the bathroom). This complication seems bizarre to me. I am grateful for any advice or support.
brooke1234

Topics: 1

Re: LIS survivor but going through a weird problem now

Postby marg6043 » 04 Jun 2013, 14:30

brooke1234 hi there, I never had LIS before so I can not compare side effects, but I have a fissure now a 1 year old and I get itchy and irritated once in a while and like you have to go back and clean the area very good and it will go away.
I believe that the area is still irritated or in your case the tissue were your fissure was located before the LIS may be getting irritated as you mention some blood and pain.
Perhaps a visit to the doctor will help diagnose any problems before it get worst as your fissure could be coming back.
So make an appointment as soon as you can.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby jr2 » 04 Jun 2013, 18:25

People who have LIS can have disruptions in sphincter control. We generally only think of this in terms of outright incontinence, but from what you describe, it could be that some residual stool after a BM is collecting around the anus and causing you some irritation. The bleeding could be from excessive wiping or it could be a hemorrhoid or a fissure.
You could try cleaning with a rectal bulb syringe with some warm tap water to see if flushing things out a bit after a bowel movement helps prevent any further residual stool from making its way down toward the outside. You could also give a barrier cream a try after a BM to see if that helps protect and soothe the skin (something like Desitin or Calmoseptine).
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sadies-day » 04 Jun 2013, 18:38

I had LIS 11 months ago and still suffer from a similar problem. Like the previous poster said, I believe it is from residual stool. Any irritation from too much wiping or a small nick (not a fissure) from something you ate (popcorn, chips, crackers, crusty bread) exasperates the problem. Things that have worked for me include cutting back on coffee, increasing water intake, increasing fiber intake significantly (decreases leakage, makes BMs less messy), using some personal lubricant on the area before a BM (and using it on the TP to make wiping easier afterwards), balneol lotion (although the personal lubricant is much cheaper), coconut oil, and calmoseptine cream (works as a barrier). Unfortunately, I feel this is the new norm for me. Best of luck...
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13