Why the recurrence?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Why the recurrence?

Postby Please go-away! » 02 Jul 2013, 07:59

That's so true Marg, i'm going through the menopause, along with the other problems we all have on this site, and Olive oil works to lubricate my internals (pure virgin olive oil) morning and night a tspn.
I'm going to get the coconut as well for variety.
I was finally able to apply Vaseline, only in the morning as I'm most relaxed and it has helped allot. I was afraid, because I was so tight, now I'm able to before breakfast.:) 
I use sudocrem (in Canada, well known) in between applications (that was funny)Image  to sooth, heal and protect.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Jul 2013, 14:45

TTT,
Please don't use soap or any form of bubble/ shower gels on your bottom as these can contain ingredients which can both irritate and dry the area out! Soap can be especially drying - just use plain old warm water - you could try using Epsom salts too in limited quantities in baths, but wash off with plain water after soaking. This might help?
Coconut Oil is super moisturising and very soothing - best thing I found! I've always taken Extra Virgin Olive Oil orally and applied a glob of Coconut Oil internally and around my bottom. It feels (and smells) wonderful. It's also very natural and safe to use. Itching could be for a number of reasons, so start with eliminating soap and go natural....also make sure your bottom is thoroughly clean and you have no issues with any trapped debris (which can happen with a fissure) This will make you itch like crazy!
You're right - Vaseline is fabulous stuff!!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Jul 2013, 14:47

P.S Internal piles can also itch like crazy when inflamed. Do you suffer these? I find a bit of Anusol cream containing the Hydrocortisone a brilliant relief for itching, but I do use it very sparingly and only rarely as over-use can thin the skin in the area.
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Please go-away! » 02 Jul 2013, 16:27

Oh yes these things help us indeedee-do..:D I think i have a small tear on the left side now, Will have my Gastro, Doctor look at it soon.
The strangest thing happened to me this morning, after my usual oatmeal breakfast w/dried fruit.
About 2 hours later, I had my usual (you notice how we are so predictable with our health issues, lol) BM, the first small stool had blood along the length, very smooth and thin, then I had to go half an hour later, easy breezy, and no pain or any blood..Image
In fact no spasms, at all, just some gas that finished about a few hours ago, I am sore from the fissure, a little hard to sit , on a cushion now, able to walk, yet no spasm"s, gee I shouldn't complain,enjoy it while ya can.
Does this mean I'm healing, or what? :roll: 
My hemies don"t itch , but can be hard to sit on, so I just use a flat soft pillow..definitely not a donut pillow as this could pull on the existing fissure.
when I use the coconut, I make believe I'm in the tropics.lol.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby marg6043 » 03 Jul 2013, 13:26

Please go-away! I know exactly what you mean I am already at the other end of the menopause stage and it was not easy, I think that once we start to get dry in our feminine parts everything else down there gets affected too due to the sensitive tissue in that area.
I use Carlson vitamin E suppositories they work well too.
ttt31 I also have very sensitivity to anything that contains perfumes or additives when it comes to my private areas, it has gotten worse as I am now in menopause.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby ttt31 » 04 Jul 2013, 09:17

OK I just got myself some Manuka Honey! Fingers double crossed that this will put an end to the pain. $20 for 50ml though! It'll be worth every penny if it works. I'll let you all know if it goes well.
I had been doing well the last two days- sleeping well without itching or pricks, and daytime pain was minimal, and keeping a good diet with lactulose and high fibre. But when I passed stool this morning, the glass feeling returned! Argh.
Anyway, I'm flying tomorrow so I hope this honey can provide me relief for sitting in a plane for 20 hours.
Maybe a silly question, but how do you know if you have hems? I tried to look, but it's so hard to find an angle, so I ended up trying to take a photo, but no dice. It feels a bit swollen around the anus though- possibly sentinel piles?
ttt31
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Jul 2013, 14:05

Hi TTT,
A lot of people have internal hems but do not even realise they have them as they are generally painless and can't always be visibly seen!
Internal hemorrhoids are swollen veins that form inside the anal canal, and some may protrude outside the anus.
For those that do notice them perhaps because they are particularly irritated by over wiping or difficult BMs/ constipation, symptoms tend to include bleeding a little when passing stools/ some itching or irritation in the bottom/ there may or may not be swellings around the anus/ sometimes a little pain or discomfort inside the anus. Another sign, could be some fecal discharge as bits of stool can become trapped around the swollen vein and then make its way out a little while after cleaning up after the BM.
I do have a couple myself and a sensible fibrous diet combined with lots of fluid and no straining, generally keeps them in check and I don't really notice them.
When irritated, I suffer a little internal itching, sometimes soreness but they never seem to bleed. When they ocassionally rear their heads, I use the Hydrocortisone Anusol and after a day's use, this works wonders in shrinking them again!.......
If you have external hems, you would definitely notice them as they can be sore & itch a lot, they are fleshy purple looking lumps on the outside of your anal passage.
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Jul 2013, 14:07

Good luck with the flight too!
Remember to keep drinking LOTS of water to avoid dehydration and get up and move around a bit as prolonged sitting is not good if you have hems!!
Fingers crossed the Manuka Honey helps you also........
Ever the Optimist

Postby ttt31 » 11 Jul 2013, 04:34

OK so the flight didn't go too badly- some pain but I just put my feet up when that happened, and I tried to go on as many walks as possible.
But either the move, my new vegan diet or manuka honey has helped me heal up quite well! It's only a but painful when I pass stool, and other than that some itching at night but very manageable. I'll keep my fingers crossed it stays this way, but I will continue to maintain this lifestyle for now.
But up to now, the biggest helpers were vaseline, manuka honey and lactulose. I've stopped taking lactulose, as I'm eating incredible amounts of fibre but kept it on the side in case I get tempted by some cheese or cake.
I do have these pesky hems though- not too much in the way, but not going away as quickly as I'd like. They seems to feel bulbous after a BM, but at other times, just feels like some excess skin. Do you think I should get it removed?
Also, do tomatoes not get digested very easily, because I see bits of them in my stool sometimes, and I often think it's dried blood, but remembered I've been eating lots of tomatoes?
ttt31
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Please go-away! » 11 Jul 2013, 11:07

Its the seeds and especially the skin of the tomatoes, I will either peel the tomatoes or steam off the skin, I'm growing Roma tomatoes less acidy   and pulpy, it worked for me , try it,I find it's now more digestible.
Also green or red peppers , the same with there skin, can be hard to digest.  Try this, roast them in your barbecue or oven and the skin will be easy to pull off, yum.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure