48 days of AF and Fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

48 days of AF and Fissurectomy

Postby Uno » 26 Jun 2012, 10:29

Hello,
I just wanted to share my experience with this horrible AF and recently Fissurectomy I had yesterday.
I didn't know I had AF until day 18 of stabbing burning pain with bleeding during bowel movements. My surgeon wanted me to keep the stool real soft to allow the fissure to heal. This is what I did or tried hoping it'll heal soon:
-High Residue Diet: Lots of Veggies, Fiber One Cereal, 1 serving of Pitted Prunes a day
-80 ounces of water
-Applying Nitropaste Ointment to relax the anal sphincter (Used very small amount due to bad headache) 3x day
-Applying Vaseline prior to bowel movment (insert small amount inside the rectum as well)
-Using Tucks (Witch Hazel Astringent) wipes after bowel movement
-Sitz bath twice a day or after each bowel movement
-Colace twice a day
-Miralax once a day (When I was using Miralax, I cut back on Colace or it'll give you diarrhea)
-a Cup of Coffee with milk (I am lactose intolerant so, this will soften the stool)
After all this, pain seems to subside a little bit but STILL there. Image Image
It is just an expression but at one point, I wanted to die than live with this pain everyday. But I want to live. So, I decided to have a surgery. I am getting married in 2 months and I wanted to resolve this horrible AF.
I had my surgery yesterday after 48 days of AF. I had Fissurectomy with linked hemorrhoidectomy. He removed little skin tags as well but not the Hemorrhoids. He said it'll be more painful. It is like cutting off parts of your lips. Ouch.
Surgery went well yesterday. I am an ER Nurse so it was different being on the other side. I am so used to taking care of others. They took care of me very well though. Once I got to OR, they gave me some medication telling me I might feel little dizzy. I don't remember anything after that but waking up in PACU feeling groggy. Then, they transfer me to recovery room and gave me some juice and crackers. I had to "pee" before I can be discharged. When I got home, I was little nauseated but it subsided after eating some mild soup. It is little uncomfortable to walk (I look like a penguin) but pain was bearable. I did take some pain medication later in the evening and every 4 hours. It was little rough during sleep since it was hard to find comfortable position.
Today is day 2 after surgery. I had breakfast and had a bowel movement. I couldn't believe how the bowels were so smooth! :D I mean I still had mild pain since the surgical site is so raw. I took a long Sitz bath and a shower. Still uncomfortable but there's only healing that's left Image
Uno
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 48 days of AF and Fissurectomy

Postby trieditall » 05 Jul 2013, 08:51

Hello, just wondering if you can tell me how long it took for you to heal completely after your fissurectomy, which I see was over one year ago. Not sure if you're still around, but please let me know... I am on day 5 of recovery and feeling a bit discouraged.
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Uno » 05 Jul 2013, 13:23

Hello @trieditall,
My recovery took a Little bit longer than I anticipated about 2 weeks & I still had to be cautious after that. I went back to work on post-op day 4 so my rectum was little bit stressed. & Had some moderate pain on day 5. Sitz bath & healthy diet with lots of fluids kept me to healthy recovery. It has been a year since the surgery & I am anal fissure free & Pain Free during bowel movement :-D
Uno
Fibre Addict

Postby trieditall » 05 Jul 2013, 13:29

wow! great to hear! congrats on getting a life back!! always good for me to hear success stories, especially with the same procedure I just had. Thank you for responding!
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Uno » 09 Jul 2013, 08:50

@trieditall,
Good luck to you!! You'll be Pain Free soon :D
Uno
Fibre Addict