fissurectomy worth doing? and battling constipation

Long term sufferer, constipation

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

fissurectomy worth doing? and battling constipation

Postby secretmission » 24 Nov 2016, 00:38

Hi everyone from down south,

I got my fissure after I had my first child 3 years ago, I battled with that for a long time until I was pregnant with my second and had some relief during my pregnancy. After my second child is delivered, the fissure came straight back and I have been battling it ever since, so on and off in total I have had it for more than 3 years.

Recently I couldn't stand it anymore I went to see a colorectal surgeon who recommended me fissurectomy and said LIS is not recommended for women and that I would not find anyone who would do it for me.

So I guess the question is, is fissurectomy even worth doing? He said there is no science behind it but somehow it just helps the fissure heal. Right now I am battling with severe constipation as well so I have postponed the surgery. I have read up on the forum heaps and used coconut oil, nifidepine ointment, cold pack, heat pack, milk of magnesia, still as soon as I have a bowel movement, the first bit that came out is extremely painful and I had to strain a lot. After the first bit, everything that follows is very soft and watery. So I am really at a loss what else I can do.

I guess I am worried that I have read a lot how painful fissurectomy recovery is and without LIS, isn't the muscle going to cause spasm again then what's the point of doing fissurectomy? As soon as I have a BM all the work will be undone because the spasm will tear open the fissure again then we are back to square one? And my surgeon kept saying botox is not worth having, so basically there is nothing much else to do other than fissurectomy.

Hope someone experienced with this can shed some light? Thanks so much. Every day BM makes it a living hell as well as needing to look after two young kids is really pushing me to the edge of giving it all up ...
secretmission
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: fissurectomy worth doing? and battling constipation

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Nov 2016, 04:37

Hi,
I had the fissurotomy but I also had Botox with it. The recovery wasn't too bad yes the first few days were rough but after 14 days I was back at the gym and swimming. I wouldn't do it without the Botox though as you are right you will still get spasms.
In the end it didn't work for me but it did bring me weeks of no pain just a bit of discomfort. Plus I gave existing conditions that mean it would probably never have worked.
If I were you I would have a word with your dr and ask about the Botox.
As for not giving you LIS because you are a woman....they cannot leave you in pain and if you agree to try things their way then they should agree to LIS as a last option.
This amount of pain is horrendous and no one ever should have to live like this....especially just because we are women....it's your body and if you are willing to risk incontinence (very very small risk) to be pain free then ultimately that is your choice and not theirs.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby secretmission » 26 Nov 2016, 04:13

Mypoorbutt, thanks so much for your reply ... I am scared to death to do the surgery because a lot of people on this site said afterwards was excruciating and I still have the two little ones to look after. But my surgeon was adamant that botox doesn't work and I shouldn't do LIS. Right now I am trying all the different suggestions on this site to get BM under control first, then maybe I will go seek a second opinion ...
secretmission
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Nov 2016, 07:13

Hi,
My surgeon says he sees an 87% success rate with Botox and I have to admit I think if my fissure hadn't been as bad or I didn't have my IBS and crohns then I believe it would have healed it. After 2 weeks I was back at the gym...I'm just over two weeks after LIS and I'm still in serious pain. I guess it up to each individual as we are all different.
Good luck though
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20