New, Nervous and Hopeful

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New, Nervous and Hopeful

Postby resume » 07 Jul 2013, 10:24

Hello all. I've been following this forum for about 6 months and thought I'd finally share my story. I got my fissure after a bout of diarrhea from food poisoning and cdiff back at the beginning of January. Well after being misdiagnosed by 5 doctors and trying proctofoam, anucort, coconut oil, and nifedipine I was finally referred to a CRS last month. He diagnosed me with a fissure and a fistula. He immediately recommended LIS and fistulotomy. Well my surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday and I am very nervous. The CRS said it is a simple procedure and the worst part of it all is the enema before the surgery. I hope he's right.
Thank you everyone for your informative posts. It's so bitter sweet to know there are others out there who can relate to what I am going through. Finding this forum has been such a blessing. And I really appreciate those of you who have come back after healing to let us know there is light at the end of the tunnel.
resume
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: New, Nervous and Hopeful

Postby Ever the Optimist » 07 Jul 2013, 14:42

Hi Resume,
Welcome to the forum! Best place to be when you've got all that going on - honestly! but sorry you are suffering though and wishing you all the very best with your surgery this Wednesday. We can all definitely relate to your issues and the nerves, stress, anxiety, these horrible anal issues bring, but you will be fine and it will all work out. Make sure you read all the success posts for further reassurance and other people's stories.......
I also had both fissure & fistula (mine were totally unrelated incidents, unlike some people) - My fistula was "laid open" under an Examination Under Anaesthetic and it was a completely minor, successful and straightforward process....Now, I would never have known I had a fistula and full recovery probably took around 9 months (about 3 months for the visual signs to heal and a few more months for the area internally to feel "normal" again) It is nothing to be scared about and successful surgery has a 100% full recovery rate. I've had NO recurrence or signs of.
My Fissure actually healed naturally after 1yr, 5 months, so that took a while but just to reassure you, life goes on & does get pretty much back to normal!! - even though at the time you just can't see an end to it all...
There are lots of great success stories with LIS candidates, so with time (be patient - it takes a while!) inner strength, lots of positive thinking and a few lifestyle changes, you will be well on your way to reaching that light at the end of the tunnel!!
All the very best to you, again, wishing you well with your surgery and hang in there!! These things can be beaten for sure and I'm not the only one who can tell you that here :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby resume » 07 Jul 2013, 15:21

Thank you so much Ever The Optimist! Your reassurance and kind words brings tears to my eyes. I can and will get through this! :)
resume
Salt Bather

Postby resume » 03 Aug 2013, 07:34

Well it turns out that I needed to have LIS and a fissurectomy. Not a fistulotomy. I guess the fistula I had was part of my fissure? So when my CRS did the fissurectomy it took care of the fistula as well. It's been 25 days since my surgery and today is by far the best I've felt in a long time. I have an appointment in a few days to see how everything is healing. Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement ETO! :D
resume
Salt Bather

Postby pinpin » 03 Aug 2013, 12:48

Perfect news! I am glad LIS helped you to heal wounds!
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 03 Aug 2013, 14:56

Great news delighted LIS is working for you I'm fully healed no sign of fissure I'm 7wjs post LIS, fissurectomy & tag removal. I've been told to be super careful for another 6 to 8 wks to give skin a chance to heal. Keep on doing what your doing for another few wks be super careful 😊
Deleted User 2543

Postby resume » 04 Aug 2013, 10:28

Thank you so much everyone. I've been following your story for awhile now Edel. It gave me hope before my surgery and it still gives me hope now. I'm so glad you are healed! I hope to hear those words soon too!  :)
resume
Salt Bather