New to this ..................

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to this ..................

Postby blackecho » 07 Jul 2013, 20:23

Hi all...........I have had problems with an AF for the last five weeks. Dr said it was small.......it started to seem to go away but after a pretty bad BM ..made it worse. Basically...... yes I have the problem of painful BM but my real concern is the anal sphincter and the part of the body between the genitals and the anus are numb. Feels a bit like when the dentist has numbed your gum.Especially when wiped. It also feels at times like it is swollen. I am a male and it seems to affect ejaculation and at times urination. I think this purely because it seems to have happened all about the same time. Dr has swabbed for STDs and all clear.
There is no bleeding..... I have just started on Rectogesic ( third day) and getting headaches but not so bad to give it up. I am also light headed and anxiety is getting more and more as I am scared it is more than just a fissure. Is any of this normal with an AF?
Thanks for any comments ... :) 
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: New to this ..................

Postby Savaici » 08 Jul 2013, 13:11

Welcome to the forum!
Your fissure is in a good stage, in that it is still acute and not chronic, so you have a good chance of healing with the Nitro. Most of the research on Nitro is that if it has not worked after 8 weeks, it is not going to, so make sure that you continue with it religiously...
I think your symptoms of being light headed and the anxiety are some of the side effects of nitro. Try not to be anxious...
Also, as with everyone on here will advise:
* Drink lots of water.
* Make sure you are eating enough soluble fibre. About 35g for a man. Do not overload on fibre.
* Take an ostmotic laxative, if you feel you need it. I use Milk of Magnesia, but I would suggest Miralax (the name in the USA; different names in other countries). You do not want to have 'bad' BMs while the fissure is healing or all your good work is down the toilet...so to speak.
* Two tablespoonfuls of olive oil or coconut oil, either by the spoon or on your food.
* Do not wipe, only dab with wet toilet paper to clean.
Possibly someone else with come along with some other suggestions, but these are good ones to follow.
There is a lot of information on here, and a good search engine. Just use the link on the right, top of the page.
Keep at it! You can heal. And, once again, Image 
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby blackecho » 08 Jul 2013, 19:11

Thanks so much for that ...very helpful. I sure do hope it works quickly..... the thought of this going on long term is a bit of a worry and seeing so many having it for years really scares the crap out of me......I wish . :)
blackecho
Fibre Addict

Postby snowdog » 12 Jul 2013, 13:35

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I can't add much to what has already been said, but I have been dealing with a "small" fissure as well for just over 8 weeks and I am on disability for severe anxiety, so I know what you are talking about.
Getting the anxiety and stress under control is critical in my opinion. I have read in some places and there are users on here who agree that stress and anxiety go hand in hand with getting fissures in the first place. Not 100% of the time, but possibly in your case. (Not intended as medical advice - I'm not a doctor).
You may have setbacks along the way (I've had 2 so far) and as much as we want it to resolve quickly, they just take their own time. A day seems like a week, etc. In my experience, bouncing back from the setbacks is quicker than the initial healing.
Savaici gives some great tips. I'd add sitzbaths or warm water tub soaks if you are able. Focus on the positive...you have a small fissure and got treatment going quickly. A very good thing. Just keep at it, but don't obsess over it and let it run your life. I did that with my first one and lost a year of my life to the dumb thing.
snowdog
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby blackecho » 12 Jul 2013, 21:20

thanks for that Snowdog............yeah the anxiety and constant focus on to poo or not to poo is ridiculous......am thinking lot of the light headiness is due to the Rectogesic but who bloody knows ....fun fun fun.........all the best to you :)
blackecho
Fibre Addict