Nifedipine and lidocaine

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nifedipine and lidocaine

Postby zvee26 » 09 Jul 2013, 20:54

Hi all,
New to the board here. I was just diagnosed after being told for the last six months that I have hemorrhoids by both a GP and GI doctor. I'm fairly young, so it was something I didn't talk about with many people. Finally, I visited a CRS (as I read most of you on the board did), and he immediately was able to tell me that my pain was completely unrelated to that and was actually from a fissure. I was reassured to know that there might be a solution, but still frustrated with the pain.
The CRS gave me a lidocaine/nifedipine ointment and told me to use it for six weeks. The thing is, I am a week in and am still experiencing pain for a few hours a day. If you've used this medication before, how quickly did you start noticing that it was working and gaining some pain relief? I am also taking two fiber supplements a day, and I eat a lot of veggies.
I am waiting to hear back from the doctor on acceptable exercises. Biking sounds of no interest to me, as I was taking spinning class when this problem first started. Running seems to help some days, but other days I feel really sore afterward. I noticed walking is one of the best pain relievers so far, but it's just difficult to do when you're at work most of the day.
Thanks for your help! I was very relieved to find a message board and discover that I am not alone!
zvee26

Topics: 2

Re: Nifedipine and lidocaine

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 10 Jul 2013, 00:00

OMG, early on with my fissure walking to the other end of my house was torture!!!!!  You have to not aggravate this sensitive part of your body.  Of course no biking or even probably running or anything that stretches the cut trying to heal.  I'm probably over-reacting but I am months into healing from a really bad AF and wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.  I healed after five weeks and then retore after sitting too much and then walking (and having a tiny poop).  I tore another time after walking and having a tiny poop.  I really pay attention (now) to what my body says it can and cannot do.  Until you heal (or have surgery and heal) I recommend not stressing your AF.  I have found that hot/warm baths (or sitz baths) and using a heating pad have helped with healing. There are lots of other ideas on this forum about diet, keeping stools soft, and ointments.  Don't make things worse by thinking you are invincible.  This is a diffiucult kind of sore to heal and you need to bring all your wherewithall to it! Just my humble opinion.  'In less pain' 7 months into the process.:D
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10