LIS and the incision site. And a question about spasm.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS and the incision site. And a question about spasm.

Postby aimonaali » 10 Jul 2013, 08:55

I had LIS november last year. Well the fissure reopened and is still not healed but also the incision site is still aching. Is it normal for the incision site to still give me trouble after all these months? And a related question: is it possible that my ass is somehow spasming because of the fissure and that is causing the incision site not to heal as well? And can one have spasms without realising it? I've never felt my muscles spasming down there but there must be something that explains the lack of healing...
All answers are much appreciated.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: LIS and the incision site. And a question about spasm.

Postby suzyljank » 10 Jul 2013, 09:34

Hi aimonaali, if your LIS was successful your fissure should have healed by now, but the surgical site can stay tender for up to 2 years. If the site itself hasn't healed and you are still spasming it's possible the cut was too conservative. It might be a good idea to see your doctor again. I'm so sorry you're still getting spasms, I can truly relate. I had a failed LIS in 2008. I hope you heal soon, Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby JHH » 10 Jul 2013, 09:40

Aimonaali, what kind of pain is it you have?
Is it burning for hours after BM? Or is it a more constant pain all day?
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby aimonaali » 10 Jul 2013, 11:56

On the incision site it's more like a dull aching sort of pain that comes and goes through out the day. On the fissure it seems to change from week to week. I'm not sure if I would call it "pain". It's more like burning and stinging. BM's don't really hurt but afterwars the fissure is reminding me of it's existence.
It does feel strange that the cut on LIS might have been too conservative since it's not even healing:/ And also I have to wipe again sortly after a BM because of some "after leakage". And the fissure did heal at first but tore again a couple of months after when the doctor examined me for the pain in the incision site.
But nobody answered to the spasm question? Can it still be spasming even if I don't feel any spasms? I've never had.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 10 Jul 2013, 12:07

Hi, if you are spasming your stools would be thinner than normal and more difficult to pass. Anal spasm can be very painful. It can be a dull throbbing ache or feeling full to a sharp jabbing ache. The burning sensation could also be caused by the fissure but you do get that feeling from time to time when you are healing. If you are having any kind of discharge put a gauze pad between your cheeks. Keeping the area dry helps tremendously. The fluids could also cause a burning sensation. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby JHH » 10 Jul 2013, 12:11

Well... I dont feel spasms as 'spasms'. Not anything like a spasms in my leg or toe. I feel it as a burn for some hours after BM. Some people have more serious spasms, and pain from the muscle itself. After botox, my spasms has changed to more of a dull stabbing pain, so I guess has gotten milder.
I dont know if you have spasms or not, but if you feel too tight after BM, and have pain, that goes away later in the day, you probably have spasms.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby aimonaali » 10 Jul 2013, 13:16

I can't say that I feel "thigh" after BM. Just some burning and general discomfort. It isn't even that much worse after BM, it's more like a little peak on the discomfort on that is there pretty much all the time. But I do feel the fissure stinging every now and then. And I almost wanna punch something when it happens. I don't really have discharge, just have to wipe two times after every BM to get everything out. My fissure is inside the anus so I can't see it and cant really keep it clean or dry either. Maybe I should try botox or something...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby pinpin » 10 Jul 2013, 13:25

You can easily identify whenever you have internal sphincter spasm.
After 1h after BM lay down, and easy with your index finger try to find rigid ring or at least something rigid in anus. You don't have to go inside, but can slowly find spasmed muscle from sides. Please try to be relaxed as first external goes and the internal which is not controlled by us.
For me I can find spasm or not even looking in mirror. If I have spasm I see less anus when pooling apart cheeks. When no spasm I can see a lot there and particularly fissure also.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby lefthanded » 12 Jul 2013, 10:12

My CRS explained that spasm is what contributes to or even causes fissures. That is why they use botox: it paralyzes the muscle and reduces spasming so the fissure can heal.
lefthanded
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby aimonaali » 12 Jul 2013, 12:34

Ok... So I did try to figure if my ass was spasming after BM and it does feel hard right after BM. I can feel the muscle with my fingers. Half an hour later it doesn't feel that hard anymore. I was also wondering if the fact that I have to wipe twice after a BM could be due to spasming: when the muscle relaxes I get better "acces" and am able to clean the rest. Does this feel resonable to anyone else? :)
Anyway, I don't really know what to do anymore wheter or not my ass is spasming...:/
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist