Newbie ~ Recently Diagnosed

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie ~ Recently Diagnosed

Postby Deleted User 2854 » 22 Jul 2013, 12:33

I was diagnosed with an AF last week (July 16,'13). Almost 3 weeks prior I was having painful BM's, throbbing pain, etc...I thought it was a hemorroid and tried all the over-the-counter meds to help alleviate the issue, nothing worked ! After suffering with it & noticing it wasn't getting any better, I called my mom's CRS & set up an appt. He told me I didn't have a hemorrhoid that it was an AF. Was told to increase my fiber, drink lots of water & was prescibed C-Diltiazem 2% Ointment to put on my bottom area (2x a day & after a BM). The CRS told me it would take 4-8 weeks for it to heal and if not, then we would go with other options.
Immediately, I came home and started googling AF. I found this site and let me just say it has been a complete god-send ! I scoured the topics and found many of questions answered by fellow AF sufferers & have learned so much. THANK YOU !!
So, here I am...one week in. I have increased my fiber, getting in at least 25 grams per day with food plus taking 3tsp.of FiberSmart with water, plus drinking lots of water & using the cream. Some days are good, some aren't. Sometimes, I get the throbbing pain which really makes for a long day. I decided to add in some Colace to see if that helps with soften my stools anymore...gosh, I hope it does.
SweetPea Image 
Deleted User 2854

Re: Newbie ~ Recently Diagnosed

Postby Please go-away! » 22 Jul 2013, 18:36

Welcome Sweetpea.
I'm sorry for your diagnosis, like a lot of us, but you have definitely come to the best forum around.
The people here and the valuable information and advise, is just amazing. I have learned so much, more then I have ever.
Me thinks more then my Gastrologist Doctor..lol.
I'm glad your doing all the right things, Check out some of the post's regarding Magnesium.
My Doctor wanted me off Colace (habit forming) and twice a week at night take 400 mg of Magnesium(pill form), I just discovered that there is a liquid form that is gentler for people with colon issues, like my IBS. Going to look into that.
Also check out one of my post's regarding Placement of fibre Eat your Soluble first(softer foods) then follow with a insoluble fibre food(acts like a sweeper).
Makes sense, what goes in first will come out first, My pharmacist told me about this method.
Keep tuned, so many Fissure Fighters will come and welcome you with  open arms, and you will heal. I am healed/healing, but some days it's like 5 steps forward and two steps back.
I guess because we are so aware of our bums, its itching, soreness, burning,  every little twitch and ping...lol.
Take care and have a great evening, sleep tite and don't let the fissure bug bite.Image 
Soon your BM will be as smooth as silk, no matter how your poop come's out..lol.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby marg6043 » 22 Jul 2013, 22:03

SweetPea, glad to see that you already have established a routine to work with your fissure so you can start the healing process.
Yes fissures are very painful but you can find ways to ease the discomfort.
Make sure you lubricate the area before a BM to ease some of the irritation Vaseline works and so baby desitin, stay away from the toilet paper for now and use soft wet wipes without scent.
Hopefully the cream will work and you will be feeling better soon.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Deleted User 2854 » 23 Jul 2013, 04:45

Thank you for your replies & great tips ! I am sure I will be doing much more reading today.
Some days I feel so alone...thanks for showing my that I am not :D 
SweetPea
Deleted User 2854

Postby suzyljank » 23 Jul 2013, 08:47

Hi, I just wanted to jump in for a sec. Colace is a stool softener and is in no way habit forming. Peri-colace is a stimulant laxative and can become habit forming. Magnesium supplement are good but if used in higher doses can cause kidney problems in some people. Miralax is a non stimulat laxative that draws water into your colon to soften your stool, it is not habit forming and is not absorbed by the body. Fiber is good but bulking fiber produces soft but larger stools which in turn stretch the anus and fissure, you want to give the fissure a chance to heal so stretching is not the best things while healing. You have to find what works for you, sometimes it's just a matter of trial and error. Hope you find what works for you. Fissures have to be the most painful buggers on this earth. Hope you heal quickly Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby marg6043 » 23 Jul 2013, 08:51

SweetPea, we all feel alone once we find out we got a fissure, I remember I had not clue what a fissure was until I was diagnosed with one, I knew about hems but not fissures.
When we are hurting so bad that it takes our quality of life away and we spend soo many nights hurting, and nobody that never had a fissure can understand how it feels, we do feel alone even if surrounded by friends and family.
But finding this board for me was a Godsend, I spend so many nights reading on other peoples experiences, pain and success that it help going over the loneliness.
I am so glad you are here with us, you are not alone anymore.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Please go-away! » 23 Jul 2013, 10:14

That's OK,Sorry Suzy, what I meant to say was, the Stool Softener That I was on at the time(Docusate sodium Capsules),that my Doctor wanted me off of.
She knew that overuse may cause dependence for bowel function. Which in turn would cause me to keep straining/pushing and she was concerned with a re tare.
I'm OK with Magnesium,(no kidney problems) But looking into Magnesium liquid, it's easier on the Colon, for my IBS issues.
Suzy is rite, it's all trial and error, we all have other issues that complicate our fissures.
Glad your doing better today SweetPea.:D
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Deleted User 2854 » 30 Jul 2013, 11:46

Well, after reading so much rave reviews about the Miralax I decided to give it a shot.
I started on July 25th, doing a 1/2cap in the morning & night for two days. On July 27th the angels sang and it was my first BM in almost 4+ weeks that wasn't painful & it didn't feel like I was pooing cut glass ! I still had slight burning & bum pressure but NOTHING compared to what is was like before. I have now switched to taking 1 capful of Miralax at night and everything seems to be smooth sailing !
I have quite the little routine going... between the Diltiazem, vaseline, A & D ointment, increase of both of fiber & water, change in diet, hot bath 2-3x a day & the Miralax I feel like I am getting back to my old self !!
I do have few questions if anyone can help...
1.How long do I continue to use the Miralax?
2. If I decide to not take the Miralax anymore, do I stop it completely or wean myself off ?
3. I have a sentinel pile, will that shrink down ?
4.Magnesium...would this be a good alternative to take instead of Miralax ? What brand or type do you take ?
SweetPea
Last edited by Deleted User 2854 on 30 Jul 2013, 11:55, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Adding another question
Deleted User 2854

Postby suzyljank » 30 Jul 2013, 12:05

Hi, I'm glad the miralax is working for you, as far as how long you take it that all depends. If you have an acute fissure and it heals you should be able to maintain your bms with diet and liquids. If however you have a chronic fissure and scarring or an unusually tight sphincter muscle then you can take it daily forever. I had severe stenosis and had a double advancement flap done. I'm glad I finally did the surgery but I'll have to be on a maintenance dose for the rest of my life (4 tsps. at bedtime). I don't mind though. There is no taste and it's nice to know that there is a way to help if you have to take any meds that might be constipating. Sounds like you have a chronic fissure if you have a skin tag. They usually shrink when the fissure heals. You also can stop miralax whenever you'd like it's not addicting. It's not even a stimulant laxative, it just draws water into the colon to help soften the stool and your body does not absorb it. Best of luck Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic