Pain in the posterior!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Pain in the posterior!

Postby AM001 » 07 Aug 2013, 05:41

Where do I start....in pain. Had what I have suspected to be haemorroids for 10+ years (since early 20s) and 2 years ago saw a surgeon who rather forcefully (relax I cannot get this up you) banded several haemorroids. Initially this was painless. 10mins later I was home and vomiting and in agony - I've since seen another surgeon who said that in young male's there's a primeval response in a nerve ending there that triggered this reaction in me - he said he would have done it under a GA.
Seems I'm quite tight down there and the day after I was in agony going to the toilet. Infact, I was in agony and bleeding for 4 weeks until the bleeding subsided and the pain remained - radiating out from the bum hole. I asked my GP to check it was all healing OK and he pu a tube up to have a look and said it was fine - the day after I was in helluva lot of pain again.
6-7 months later I was referred to a surgical outpatient clinic and saw a young registrar who was very helpful. Without being able to do an internal exam he diagnosed anal fissures from my description. He also prescribed Diltiazem. I didn't take the Diltiazem as I didn't fancy usinhg anything that made that area looser. A few months went by and I finally used it - within days I was normal again. I used it for the 6-8 weeks and it was great. Happy days.
A couple of months went by and then it re-occured. I used the cream I had to treat it but this time it resulted in teh allergic style reaction that the box described - it was like my skin was on fire and so I had to stop. This actually resulted in extremely painful skin for many months.
Over the past 3 months the pain came back in strength with some bleeding. Sitting at work is fairly unfcomfortable as is going toi the toilet. I thought I'd try the Diltiazem again but same result. Asked GP to send me back to surgical clinic so I haev a consultation soon. I don't want examined unless under a GA.
Suspect the first surgeon trating the haemorroids caused a tear. Suspect my follow up to the GP to see if it was all healed re-opened it. It's now chronic. GP said most really serius things, i.e. cancer are not painful and doesn't think it's anything other than a fissure. I'm noyt constipated, I drink loads of water. I am stressed and I am tight down there.
I've resorted to alternative therpaies. Dr Wheatgrass Superbalm came up on many alternative therapy sites so I'm trying that but no luck so far after 3 weeks - will persevere. Taking baths but not great.
I'm just utterly fed up with this. If the pain went away straight after a BM it would be fine but it lasts easily half the day and is worse because I have an office job and sit most of the day. The only people that know are my wife and mum. It's overly embarassing to share with anyone else although I'd like to but don't think anyone appreciates how sore it can be.
Pretty much scared of surgery. Generally you only read the bad on the web. I guess there's also a lot of positive stories that people haven't posted but I want to avoid surgery as much as possible.
Think that's it! Would actually welcome an internal examine under GA just to find out for sure what it is. I'm otherwise healthy aside frm being overweight so I don't think it's anything physically serious - just a pain in the a$$! (unfortunately a rather severe one!).
AM001

Topics: 2

Re: Pain in the posterior!

Postby marg6043 » 07 Aug 2013, 21:38

AM001, sorry to hear about your fissure experience, its possible that you got the fissure as a result of your hem treatment.
When hems are banded, they fall off, leaving a sore behind that should heal, but sometimes it can become a fissure.
The cream can cause reaction, It did the same to me, I have the nitro cream, after reading here about the pros and cons of the Wheatgrass Super balm I decided to try other things, because your fissure is chronic is going to take longer to heal naturally.
My fissure took one year from diagnosis to healing, but for years I treated the problem like it was hems.
Is ways to ease the pain, you can try pain killers when is worst, you can keep the area lubricated with Vaseline before and after a BM to ease the pain, Baby desitin helps with the irritation.
Sitz baths are a plus after BMs also, use unscented baby wipes as they are more gentle than toilet paper.
Treat your bum like is the most delicate thing in the world, avoid constipation at all cost, a change in diet can help.
Don't worry too much about the problems in your bum been more than just the results of hem treatment and development of fissure, my CRS used to reassure me that fissures do not develop into cancer.
But to make your feel better and ease your mind you should consult a CRS (Colorectal surgeon) as they are the ones that have more experience with fissures.
My CRS didn't manipulated my fissure while it was healing because the pain, I had my colonoscopy under GA.
Is tons of information here in this side to help you find something that can work for you until you get your next appointment.
I hope you get the answers and relief you need.
Fissures do not heal over night once they are chronic but they can heal with time, or surgery if need it.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Re: Pain in the posterior!

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2013, 08:50

AM001 U expressed
I've resorted to alternative therpaies. Dr Wheatgrass Superbalm came up on many alternative therapy sites so I'm trying that but no luck so far after 3 weeks - will persevere.
Have you tried Manuka Honey.........
Its a great alternative method and to date, I haven't heard of any negative reactions from its use.
Keep searching, good luck and welcome to this forum.