Six Weeks from Surgery, A Question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Six Weeks from Surgery, A Question

Postby Karinann » 10 Aug 2013, 08:32

I've got a question about the healing process. Six weeks ago I had surgery, and recently had a follow up visit with my surgeon. She did a visual exam and told me the healing at the surgical site looks perfect. I'm still experiencing a bit of pain, a maximum of two out of ten, with a couple of exceptions I'll describe in a minute. Most of what I call the more intense pain is during the BM, and it passes very quickly after I relax a bit. I try to mentally relax while sitting on the toilet, when I feel the BM coming. All of my BM's now are Bristol 4. My question is I am still seeing a moderate amount of blood both in the stool and also as liquid in the toilet water. Can this be expected this far away from surgery? I'm not exactly sure I heard my surgeon correctly or not, but I think she said she did NOT do an LIS, but cauterized one of the fissures she found and applied stitches to the other one. Prior to surgery the pain from the fissure I felt was in the anterior region or towards my front. I don't feel that pain at all anymore even during BM's. The site of any pain now is in the posterior left region, where I believe the second fissure was found. So has anyone else experienced bleeding this far out from their surgery? With regard to other pain, every three or four days or so I experience a deep kind of pain radiating outwards from the posterior left site, which goes into my left butt cheek. That pain is more like a deep muscle pain, and remains for a few hours then subsides. Karin
Karinann
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Six Weeks from Surgery, A Question

Postby Guest » 15 Aug 2013, 15:01

Since no one else responded I'll try to bump you up to give them another chance and to see if I can help.
From what you told us, all I can think of is that the cauterized fissure heals at a different rate than a non cauterized one. Same with a stitched fissure.
A quick check confirms that cauterized wounds take about 6 weeks to heal and that there are special precautions to take.....
www.portlanddermclinic.com/image/Open_wound_Post_1.pdf‎
or
https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=638&q=tripping%20on%20the%20runway&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw&ei=ihcNUp_NGtGt4AO9joGAAQ#bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=67e4f6fc03740cd6&hl=en&q=cauterized+wound+take+longer+to+heal&safe=off
Third from top in the list for that pdf file.
Your deep muscle pain sounds like spasming, but it appears over all your doing fine.
...always refer to your Dr. for more possible "thorough" answers to your questions.
GL HTH

Postby Ever the Optimist » 16 Aug 2013, 01:01

Hi Karin,
The one thing that I've noticed most here, even with nearly healed fissures, is that a bit of bleeding is not always bad. Key appears to be the levels of pain that you are experiencing and if that's reducing, then it's an excellent sign you are making progress. Of course as Butt advises, always check anything out you are unsure of with your CRS. It's very normal to be experiencing some discomfort in the BM process, especially after surgery, because that fecal matter is passing over a very fragile area, but if that's the only time, you're getting the worst discomfort, I'd actually feel very happy with things! All the very best to you in your continuing healing :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 16 Aug 2013, 01:02

P.S The healing process can take a long time, especially if you are healing more naturally, so just hang in there!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again