2 months or more healed

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

2 months or more healed

Postby ring of fire » 01 Aug 2013, 07:59

Forgive me if this doesn't post in the success story thread- pls move it there if it doesn't.
I have been afraid to post my story for fear of jinxing myself but I want to help if I can so here goes!:D   Back story is that I began having fissures at around the age of 13. They became more painful and frequent in my 20's then I have a terrible one 4 years ago while living overseas. Had LIS in Spain. It did not work. The surgeon either did not cut enough or did not know what he was doing. This left me in horrible pain for months and then in pain periodically as the fissure and LIS cut would flare up on and off. Then in Jan 2012 the fissure opened up and was extremely painful. Saw several docs and used all the creams (Rectiv and Nifed) as well as Miralax. The fissure would improve only to open again from Feb to April.
In Feb saw a natural doc who strongly recommended going gluten and dairy free. She said go on an anti-inflammatory diet. I sort of followed her advice and I got much better. When I felt better I went back on gluten and BAM, the fissure returned within a week. I cycled through this for another few weeks until I finally decided to stick with it in April. I have been gluten free for 3 months and I have been pain free and healed for over 7 weeks. Really, I have been feeling good since early May with only a small flare up after our vacation in June when I ate out numerous times. It is now Aug 1.
One month ago, I saw a post on this forum about physical therapy (huge Thank You to whoever posted). Googled PTs in my area and got lucky! I am now seeing a pelvic floor PT once a week. My insurance covers it with a copay! She is a Godsend. She has explained the situation to me better than any GI doc or the 3 surgeons I have seen this year. The therapy is not pleasant but it is working. Slow progress is expected. I will take :D slow as long as I am pain free and can avoid surgery! She said my muscle is extremely tight which makes me likely to get another fissure. When it's tight for whatever reason (stress, previous injury, etc) the blood flow is low and the skin becomes thinner and very fragile like an elderly person's crapey, thin skin. She also explained how to toilet without straining and injuring yourself. Google why modern toilets are bad and you will find results that teach you how to sit with your knees widespread, heels up, lean forward, breathe! and relax!. It helps so much! Do not lean back, strain, or hold your breath.
Here is a list of what I'm doing and what's working for me to make it easier for anyone who's searching for help:
1. Miralax - every single night until the muscle is looser/relaxed
2. Probiotics - good ones with 10 diff live strains
3. Gluten free diet with plenty of veg and fruits
4. 90 oz of water each and every day
5. limited dairy (just added that back in a week ago due to low vit D)
6. rocking chair kegal exercises
7. light yoga and walking
8. Pelvic Floor Physical therapy 1xweek
9. Anu-ice for dialation a few times a week as tolerated (PT said do it every day...working up to that)
10. Proper toilet technique to mimic squatting (sounds weird but it is crucial!)
Take every small victory and enjoy every day as much as you possibly can. The key seems to be an overall health makeover including stress management. Good luck and God bless!
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: 2 months or more healed

Postby Karinann » 04 Aug 2013, 11:17

Hi ROF: I saw your info on how to sit on toilet, and I never imagined that would make a difference. I stumbled myself on finding this position after having LIS surgery on June 26 of this year. I was trying all of these weird contorted methods of sitting on the toilet until I found the method you mentioned. It helps a lot. Now 5-1/2 weeks post op and still have a bit of pain/irritation during BM, but it becomes very manageable after about 10 to 15 minutes following BM. I've got a follow up visit with my CRS on Tuesday of next week, maybe she can explain it a bit better as to why I'm still having irritation. Karin
Karinann
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby ring of fire » 14 Aug 2013, 14:36

Hi Karin,
I am so glad that it's helping you too! I think it is closer to our bodies natural way of going which is squatting on the ground. Sounds like you are on the road to healing! Congratulations!! I would definitely consider LIS if I ever experience pain like I was having before...even though it didn't work for me the first time.
Healing thoughts!!
Miranda
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Aug 2013, 14:48

Miranda,
Great to read your post and your healing approach and it's also great you are now doing so well! May it get better & better........The toilet technique you describe is one I also naturally developed after getting my AF, only I actually squat on the loo! Leaning slightly forward and using meditative breathing makes a world of difference....
It's also very interesting to read about the gluten free aspect and the effect this had on you.
As you say, key is stress management and a total lifestyle change! Thanks for posting! :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby owmybum » 16 Aug 2013, 10:44

Thanks for posting your update ..... And it's great to hear of your healing!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !