I am new

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I am new

Postby Sarahp2222 » 13 Aug 2013, 20:29

Hello my name is Sarah Phillips I am 25 and live in Tulsa,ok.About a month and a half ago,I thought I had a really bad hemorrhoid,until I had gotten an bad abscess right on my rectum,It was soo painful,I could not eat or even sleep on my bed,I had to sleep on the recliner and had restless nights.I went to the ER twice,the first time they gave me nothing and I was still in pain so I went back,finally was given some antibiotics because It was an abscess,It ruptured as I was leaving the hospital.Problem was,It had ruptured feces,Not pus,which was bad so I went to a rectal dr and he gave me more antibiotics and told me to come back in 2 weeks,well it was an infection and Monday I have to have surgery to get all the stuff out because I got a small hole where the abscess was.I am sooo nervous,ive never ever been under anestesia in my life,and i am overweight and afraid it will interfere with the anestesia.but will it? I am so nervous please help! thank u
Sarahp2222
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: I am new

Postby owmybum » 14 Aug 2013, 05:25

Hi Sarah.... Welcome to the board!
Sorry to hear of the pain you have been through, especially as you were sent home with no help or pain meds whatsoever.
Try not to worry about your surgery. The anaesthetist will look after you, what ever your weight.
Be sure to read up on the fistula section of the board. There will be lots of info for you on abscesses etc.
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Aug 2013, 14:10

Hi Sarah,
So sorry to read of your issue. It's horrible stuff!.....
But I'm guessing that you may now have some pain relief after the thing has exploded?? It tends to be so much more painful when it's inflamed and filled. I also had an abscess, which popped. It wasn't as large as yours but it did leave a fistula tract, which is why you need to go back and get the surgery to drain that abscess area properly. Unfortunately, GPs won't really prescribe you pain killers for that issue generally, although they will insist you pop the anti-biotics because of the risk from infection! ...
Please don't worry about the anaesthesia. As OMB says, you will be well-looked after and you will be fast asleep so won't suffer in the slightest. The anaesthesia will make you groggy and a little out of sorts after you wake up, so make sure you have someone with you to drive etc. but you will be fine & by the following morning, most of it will be out your system. You will be weighed before the procedure to ensure that you are given the correct amount of anaesthetic to do the job, so please don't worry about your weight or anything. It will not affect your surgery in the slightest.........
Try not to worry yourself too much - it is nerve wracking when it's the first time, but I promise you, you will be fine. I was knocked out cold 3 times last year and it was nothing to stress about at all.
Wishing you all the very best and hoping your surgery clears up all your issues, so you can get back to normality very soon!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Guest » 14 Aug 2013, 14:16

Hi Sarah and welcome.
Yes, as owmybum suggest, looks like you've developed a fistula and here we have tons of help and info on the subject.
OK here, I'll even pick a good thread for you about fistulas and outcomes etc. Click here:
http://anal-fissure.org/t7018-prepare-for-surgery
Good luck with upcoming surgery and do not be too concerned about your weight issues. Besides, dealing with this fistula you will invariably want to eat less and better and in turn lose weight. I'll PM (private message..check yours) you a great site where plenty of others with weight issues sailed through their anesthesia.
It is highly important nowadays that you keep your stools soft and that you do not strain while on the toilet.

Postby marg6043 » 16 Aug 2013, 22:45

Sarahp2222, hi dear, I know you are having a hard time with problems in your bum, is ok to be scare is nothing wrong with that specially when you are facing a surgical procedure for the first time, it can be very stressful.
Rest assure that surgeries are common procedures, the job of the anesthesiologist is to make sure that your body weight, health and other issues are taking into consideration before your surgery, you will have a prescreening and blood work done to make sure you are healthy enough for surgery.
I had several surgeries under anesthesia in the last 10 years, yes is very scary and on my first one been a major surgery that required 5 days in the hospital I had to ask my doctor for sleeping and anti anxiety pills the week before the surgery.
But once your are under anesthesia you will not remember a thing until the time you are waken up to realized that is over, you will be monitored and taken care.
You have your age as an advantage, been young is a plus.
So let the doctors take care of you and fix the problem and you will be fine.
Remember to come back and let us know how things goes and your recovery progress.
I wish you the best.Image 
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Sarahp2222 » 17 Aug 2013, 11:03

I already went in for my pre-op and Did not take a blood test.That bad?
Sarahp2222
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 17 Aug 2013, 14:03

Hi,
No - you don't always get a blood test.
They normally just check all your statistics & often take a saliva swab too just to check for MRSA...
You'll be fine!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby marg6043 » 17 Aug 2013, 20:20

Sarahp2222, hi there, sorry I didn't mean to make you worry, yes blood test is no done all the time, your surgery is minor, in my case I had two major (organs removed) surgeries that is why I had the blood taken.
The other two was not blood taken.
I hope you feel better now and getting ready for the procedure.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby Sarahp2222 » 17 Aug 2013, 21:36

Yeah Im getting ready,very anxious and nervous,Im not even worried about what pain im gonna feel,I just wanna get out of there ALIVE
Sarahp2222
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 17 Aug 2013, 22:24

Sarahp2222, we will be here to help you over your recovery, is ok to be nervous is all part of been human.
Just make sure to let your doctor know that you are nervous about the procedure, I always do.:D
You will be back to normal in no time alive and well.
Remember to take your pain killers as schedule by your doctor after surgery even if you do not feel pain right away.
Is better to be comfortable during recovery than wait until pain set in to get relief.
And remember is ok to let go and relax so healing be a smooth and fast one. 
marg6043
King Fissure