Finally had the LIS and Fissurectomy Surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Finally had the LIS and Fissurectomy Surgery

Postby rooster » 14 Aug 2013, 10:51

I had a baby 5 months ago which resulted in two chronic anal fissures (my little butt breaker baby:). The pain with BM's was awful...felt like passing razorblades and glass shards...OUCH! It was especially hard to deal with when caring for a newborn baby! It took 3 1/2 months before a colon and rectal surgeon gave me the correct diagnosis of anal fissures. I tried all of the medications and nothing helped. I did get a little relief from Lidocaine numbing gel, but I unfortunately did not find out about that until a couple of weeks ago. My maternity leave ended and I was terrified to go back to work with these bathroom issues. I tried dealing with it for a couple of weeks and finally decided to bite the bullet and have the surgery. I had LIS and a Fissurectomy on Monday (two days ago). The doctor said the surgery went well. I've taken the pain killers every 4 hours as prescribed. So far so good! I'm a little sore and have had slight spasms, but the sitz baths seem to help. I have to admit, I am terrified to have a bm though. Fingers crossed that it's not as horrific as I am imagining.
rooster
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Finally had the LIS and Fissurectomy Surgery

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Aug 2013, 13:38

Hi Rooster,
Welcome to the forum! and big Congratulations on the birth of your little boy Image
It's such a shame you have had to be dealing with fissures on top of such a wonderful event because they are horrid.
Well done for getting the surgery too and hopefully now you will go on to recover and spend some much better quality time with your son. A lot of people here have never regretted having the surgery and say how it's improved their lives immensely, so good on you for getting it done & taking action! Everyone fears those first BMs after surgery, but as long as you stay on top of your pain killers, drink loads and keep your stools as soft as soft, it should all be fine, so try not to worry too much about it or stress yourself out....I'm not sure if you're weaning your son yet -but pretty much stick with the soft pureed fruits & veggies he'll be having and you can't go far wrong!!
All the very best to you :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby inneedofahealing » 14 Aug 2013, 15:14

Hi Rooster! We had our LIS' S on the same day! Congrats on getting that over with. I had my first bm since Monday today! I was also dreading it. Since you stated that you have been taking the pain killers every 4 hrs, I strongly advise taking stool softeners. I took one pain pill monday and one today. I made sure to take stool softeners with them because they can cause constipation. Also be careful with fiber supplements if you are taking them and drink tons of water.
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby inneedofahealing » 14 Aug 2013, 15:15

Wish you the best!
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby resume » 14 Aug 2013, 15:40

Well congratulations on the birth of your baby and on having the surgery rooster! It sounds like things are going well for you! That's great!
Drink lots of water, keep your stools soft and keep up with your pain meds and your first bm will be just fine!  :D
Wishing you the best in your recovery Rooster!
resume
Salt Bather

Postby rooster » 20 Aug 2013, 10:51

Okay, so that was a tough couple of days. I just logged back in, thank you all for your support! Stupid pain killers kept me from going to the bathroom so on the 3rd day after the surgery I was instructed to take 4 laxatives. I was a little weary of that since I had not eaten very much and 4 seems like a lot for a person of my size, but since I'm one to follow directions, I did it. Well, that was a BIG mistake. Day 4 still no BM, but now I was completely sick to my stomach and just had to find a way to go. Next instruction was to take a fleet enema. Oh bloody hell, seriously. Stitches in my butt, a cut muscle and you want me to do what??? Of course I followed directions, but only used a tiny portion of the bottle. I am still having nightmares over what followed. Thank goodness we found a wonderful nanny (for my return to work) and my husband is so supportive because the next couple of days were a horrific blur. I don't know if any has ever taken 4 laxatives, but when you only eat salads, fiber cereal, fruit and soup because of being terrified to go to the bathroom, well then you will have 3 days of a horror film stuck on repeat. Unfortunately every BM has still been extremelly painful...10 times worse then with just the 2 fissures. Although nothing can compare to the trauma I had with the first. I was shaking for hours afterwards...ugh. Should of listened to all of you with the stool softeners or just skipped the pain killers, but my doctor advised me not to use the stool softeners since they didn't seem to work well with me prior to the surgery.
I will skip all of the graffic details now that I am a week out from the surgery and my stomach is finally feeling better. I had a BM today and it was still excruciating but went by quickly since I only ate 10 grapes, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast and a bowl of fiber cereal yesterday. I'm really struggling. I was hoping the fissure pain and the spasms would be slightly better at this point, but I guess the last couple of days set me back a bit. I have an excruciating headache from all of this stress and am expected back at work next week. I see working from my bed next to the bathroom for at least a week or two in my future. I see the doctor on Friday and I might just kick him in the butt for telling me that the recovery shouldn't be that bad.
Luckily I do have a wonderful distraction, my 5 month old just started this funny belly laugh stage. He puts this all in perspective, although one day he is going to hear about how he broke my butt!!!
rooster
Fibre Addict

Postby resume » 20 Aug 2013, 16:35

Sorry to hear that you're going through such a horrible time rooster! :( I can't believe your surgeon told you not to take stool softeners. I hope your doctor has some answers for you on Friday!
Hang in there rooster!
resume
Salt Bather

Postby rooster » 21 Aug 2013, 13:52

So I went to the doctor today because all of a sudden a red bump appeared on the outside with swelling. That along with the headache and body aches I have experienced led me to believe that I had an infection. Unfortunately that was confirmed today, although I was told it was very rare. I think it was because the doc refused to give me the standard antibiotics that the hospital recommended prior to the surgery. So in the office he gave me a local numbing shot and then cut and drained the abscess which was attached to the LIS site. Wow, that didn't feel good. I'm on antibiotics and go back in two days for a follow up. I'm just really hoping that this new cut doesn't set me right back to square one and that this infection doesn't turn into anything more serious. So, all in all, this is not going well up until this point.
rooster
Fibre Addict

Postby rooster » 26 Aug 2013, 17:58

So I went to the doctor two days later and the abscess was not draining so I got butchered again. UGH! That was 3 days ago. The good news is that I am now exactly 2 weeks from my initial surgery and I actually feel better than I did prior to the surgery..FINALLY. I am actually surprised at how quickly things got better once the infection went down. Makes me wonder how much easier the recovery would have been without an infection/abscess. I only take 1 stool softener every night and eat a regular diet. Going to the bathroom does not terrify me anymore!!!!! You can feel a little pressure and a strange stretching burn, but the fissure sites do not hurt like they used to. I see the doctor in 2 days so hopefully I will get some good news that the infection is gone and the fissures are healing!
rooster
Fibre Addict

Postby resume » 27 Aug 2013, 06:44

Glad to hear that things are getting better for you rooster! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you now. Good luck at your appointment! :)
resume
Salt Bather