Had surgery 1 week ago,and hard to have a BM.normal or no?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Had surgery 1 week ago,and hard to have a BM.normal or no?

Postby Sarahp2222 » 26 Aug 2013, 08:33

for the past week now Ive had alot of issues Having a BM I have only had 1 since surgery,just peeing and crapping are really hard to do,and it really hurts when im stretched out on the toilet.This normal?
Sarahp2222
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Had surgery 1 week ago,and hard to have a BM.normal or no?

Postby jr2 » 26 Aug 2013, 14:51

Hi Sarah,
I haven't had surgery, but having read lots of surgical stories, it doesn't sound at all out of the ordinary to be having some problems. The pelvic floor muscles that are involved need to be able to relax to let urine or poo out. Having had surgery you have the effect of anesthesia and the effect of the surgical wound, which can itself cause the muscles in the pelvis to guard, or become tense. On top of that you've probably got some swelling going on. If your surgeon says its ok for you to soak in a warm bath you might find it helpful to soak prior to having a BM to get the muscles to relax. I even remember someone saying they pooped in the bathtub. You might also want to try adjusting your position on the toilet to minimize that stretching out pressure feeling on the surgical site. Sometimes it can help to put your feet up on a step stool, or raise yourself off the toilet by using your arms while you're sitting to push yourself upward so that the anal canal isn't being so stretched when using the toilet.
Most people say that things became a lot easier after the second or third week following surgery.
And as always, if you have any concerns or questions about what is going on during your recovery, don't hesitate at all to call your surgeon's office.
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: Had surgery 1 week ago,and hard to have a BM.normal or no?

Postby suzyljank » 26 Aug 2013, 17:58

Hi, I'm sorry you're hurting. I've had a few surgeries and going to the bathroom is scary. The more tense you are the worse it can get. If you're taking pain pills it's really important to take stool softeners. You do not want to become constipated. Drink plenty of liquid, I drank lots of powerade, grape juice and tea. As soon as I felt the urge to go I went. Don't hold it. If you have a sitz bath fill it with warm water and if you have to go, go in there. It helps to relax all those muscles. My doctor gave me valium to help relax the muscles too. I didn't need to use it much but it was nice to know I had it. And my heating pad. Heat relaxes spasming so if you can sit on a warm heating pad it may help. If you still can't go call your doctor. He can answer your questions and tell you what to expect. Good luck and I hope you find yourself on the road to recovery soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic