Newbie looking for help

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie looking for help

Postby Nicola123 » 28 Aug 2013, 13:44

Hi. Found this group while searching for other people's experiences. Here's my story. I'm a 27 year old women. So I've had a anal fissure for 4 years now but it came back with a vengeance after I had my first baby 5 1/2 months ago. Fissure been back and not budging for 4months now. So between having a new baby and crying on the toilet everyday I decided to go to the doctors. To which she gave me lactulose and a cream to use twice a day for 6 weeks. Can't remember the name but it gave me the worse headaches and actually made the pain worse with it on. If the pain having a BM wasn't bad enough the pain afterwards lasted sometimes a whole day. So hot baths it was all the time. ( thank god I'm on maternity leave). So last week I went back to the doctors. I now have two massive skin tags which she said she can't help anymore and she is sending me to a surgeon. On a positive note she did give me instillagel which I have used once and for a first time in a long while managed to empty my bowels fully and didn't need to jump in a bath straight after. She is also testing me for IBD which I hope I don't have. (fingers crossed)!!
So if anyone has any words of wisdom they would be greatly apprieciated!!
Nicola123
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Newbie looking for help

Postby Scientist2516 » 28 Aug 2013, 14:46

Sounds like the cream was nitroglycerine. That can give you headaches. I'm sorry.
You will find lots of words of wisdom here. Search through the archives and the pinned topics.
Boils down to: eat well and take fibre and stool softeners. Keep your BMs as soft as you can, but not diarrhoea. Drink lots of water and cut out caffeine and alcohol, as these can dehydrate you. You want the water to hydrate your BMs.
Best of luck with the surgeon visit.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Please go-away! » 28 Aug 2013, 19:07

Hi Nicola, I have IBS , it's not so bad, just have to watch what you eat, easy to live with, but none the less, good luck with your Doctor and do keep your BM very soft, now the Nitro I have doesn't give me headaches, some people do, so ask your Doc about it.
take care.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Nicola123 » 29 Aug 2013, 12:34

Thanks guys I'll have a lo ok at all the info. Please go away, is IBS the same as IBD. I'm just worried incase I have it as it means on medication for the rest of my life. Fingers crossed I don't!!
Nicola123
Fibre Addict

Postby Please go-away! » 29 Aug 2013, 19:45

IBS, stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which if I'm not mistaken is the same as IBD, Irritable Bowel Disease, My Doctor explained to me that IBS is not a disease, but a condition.
Did your Doctor tell you what it mean's, stand's for? I don't take med's , I just have to watch what I eat, example stay away from gassy, undigestable food's and so on. Your Doc might suggest food's for this condition if you have it, but it is nothing to worry about, just to adjust your diet.
take care ..Image 
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Nicola123 » 30 Aug 2013, 10:24

Oh yeah sorry. Its inflammatory bowel disease. Just read that it gets mixed up with ibs bit it isnt the same. So just have to wait and see.
Thanks
Nicola123
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 30 Aug 2013, 12:06

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I too suffered baaaddd headaches with nitro. There are other creams out there you could ask your consultant for once you are referred....
Diltiazem and nefadepine are the main ones that lots of people are having success with.
I would urge you to change from lactulose to movicol (uk) or mirilax (us) as a stool softener. I was on lactulose for a while, but when I switched to movicol, it made a huge difference. My stools are very reliably soft now.
By the way.... Congratulations on your baby!!
Image Image 
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Nicola123 » 30 Aug 2013, 12:54

Thank you!! Well i have asked my doctor for different stuff. I'll see if she gives me it. I feel as if the lactulose takes a while to work and then it ends up the first part is still a bit hard anyway. I have started to use instillagel and feel a bit back to normal as I dont experience the pain but my fissure is probably worse and i dont know it at the time. Dont know how long these are allowed for though. Cant wait to get a cream to try and get it to heal. As I feel im stuck with this forever!
Nicola123
Fibre Addict

Postby dent1 » 01 Sep 2013, 06:35

Would totally agree discovering movicol was the start og things starting to get better. Tastes better thought if you add a bit of blackcurrant or orange squash.
dent1
Salt Bather

Postby sarg » 25 Sep 2013, 05:44

Have you tried Rectalgesic??
I eventually ended up checking into the Emergency dept and got into a Botox operation.
Working out pretty good so far.
Trying Lanolin based creams with Vit E to help repair the skin. Don't use vaseline as it strips moisture from the skin and tightens things which is not great for Fissures.
sarg