I can't see any fissure!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

I can't see any fissure!

Postby Scientist2516 » 03 Sep 2013, 08:22

Every now and then, with the help of a good strong light and a magnifying mirror, I try to look at my fissure. I can't see any wound. I can see the skin tag (sentinel pile?). I can see the remains of a hemorrhoid. But I just can't see any kind of wound. I know it's still there. It feels external. When the CR nurse examines me, she just parts my buttocks and gently touches the outside area. She's not looking inside, and yet somehow she can see the fissure.
Has anyone else experienced this? Can you see your fissure? Does it look red, like a cut, or what? Anybody out there feel like sharing? Image 
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: I can't see any fissure!

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2013, 11:29

I'm was right there with you Scientist2516;
With no health insurance my bedroom was my ICU and I would often resort to the mirror between the legs "trick" too. I saw most of mine but there were some times that I couldn't see some for some reason or another.
Mine sure did look red like a cut. Even when we get a paper cut in plain sight, these are sometimes hard to spot just looking, but we can sure feel it, perhaps this is what is going on down there.
Granted the CR nurse has a more advantages angle and knows what to look for. I'm thinking some of our cuts may be hiding underneath or just behind the smallest indentation or skin fold making our futile mirror attempts unsuccessful.

Postby Luka » 03 Sep 2013, 13:20

Hi Scientist2516,
Some fissures are internal and you cannot see them easily. You can't see mine by looking at the outside; you have to part the anal skin back a bit to see the beginning of it (including the small sentinel pile and scar tissue). My CRS couldn't even see mine because I was so tight (probably due to being incredibly nervous about the exam). I can see mine, though, with a mirror and light if I part the skin back while I'm more relaxed (using the Diltiazem ointment helps to relax it so I can see it better).
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Ever the Optimist » 03 Sep 2013, 15:38

Hi Scientist,
I was never able to see mine!!
I can see a little of the Sentinel pile now, if I look really carefully, but never the fissure, which is why I had continuous Examinations Under Anaesthesia to firstly detect the fissure and then consequently treat and check it!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Scientist2516 » 03 Sep 2013, 21:00

I'm dying to know whether my fissure is getting smaller or healing at all, now I'm on nitroglycerine, and feeling so much better. I'm really tempted to get another appointment with the CR nurse, because my appointment with the CR surgeon isn't until the 26th. The suspense is killing me.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Now66 » 04 Sep 2013, 10:07

I had a colonoscopy after 6-months of "natural" AF healing (nitro, Miralax, fiber, lots of water). The colonoscopy doc told me my AF was healed.
True enough, I'm in no level of pain anywhere like when this started. However, a large BM can still be painful and leave a red blood tint on the toilet paper. So, I don't think external looks are everything.
At my age, I find it very easy to tear the skin on my hands. I don't expect this "healed" AF area to be any better.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15