New to forum

Botox yesterday - rough night

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to forum

Postby bumdeal » 25 Sep 2013, 03:48

Hi,

I had 4 injections of Dysport (variant of Botox) into my internal anal sphincter under a general anaesthetic yesterday. I came home in the evening with paracetamol for pain relief. It's not going too bad but I've been up all night with stabbing pains in my bottom. I seem to be passing more gas and hope this is a sign that my sphincter muscle is relaxing (trapped gas / anal pressure has been causing me agony). I had a salt bath at 4am to remove bits of old dressing, and for pain. In retrospect, I wish that I had not added the salt as I think it's causing a stinging sensation. No BMs yet, and I'm not looking forward to going to the loo, though I have been taking stool softeners.

Rewind 17 years ago to my first anal fissure. It began after the birth of my daughter, which was a stressful time. I'd also undergone major surgeries on my spine around this time and painkillers caused constipation.

My first fissure surgery was 16 years ago. It is classed as barbaric today. Basically, the surgeon stretched my sphincter. The rubber band analogy serves to describe this procedure. If a rubber band is over stretched it goes slack, as did my sphincter, but it gave me instant relief over many years.

The fissure came back 9 months ago after just one episode of constipation. I had to catch a train for an early start so missed my BMs. A haemorrhoid developed that made my sphincter tight and my bum tore open very dramatically.

Recently, my biggest worry has been my amount of pain (I'm a 16 stone male with a high pain threshold but it has made me cry). The pain from my fissure has been very severe and I was worried it had devolved into something more sinister (the pain tends to defer into my buttocks and abdomen and gets me the sensation that I need to urinate more often - at times). Anyhow my CRS assured me that he had done an examination and that all I have is a very nasty fissure. This is a massive relief! I see him again in 3 months and he is prepared to do a LIS if I don't heal.

I've felt quite isolated by my pain. It's been difficult to plan my days as many times have been spent in the bath tub to calm things down. I'm also disabled due to my spinal issues which cause sciatica in my legs (another story). I want to say though that the operations on my spine and subsequent pain is nothing compared to the pain in my bottom, it has been much worse.

On this final note, I think that there should be much more awareness raised around the pain management of fissures. They can be so debilitating in terms of family life, employment and wellbeing. The last thing we need is for them to become an hidden condition.

That's me folks. Wishing you all a pain free life from the comfort of my sofa :)
bumdeal

Topics: 1

Re: New to forum

Postby Ever the Optimist » 25 Sep 2013, 15:53

Hi Bumdeal and welcome here........
Sorry to hear you are suffering and truly helping that the Botox will help you through with all this - fissures are bad enough to deal with themselves, let alone having other conditions & disibilities to deal with on top, but it is interesting that you rate the pain from the fissure worse than any other pain you have endured. Many a woman has been on this site also stating they'd go through childbirth over and over again rather than having to deal with a fissure and that's pretty intense too!.......
I so agree about increased awareness for fissure prevention & pain management - In so many cases, people hear the word anal fissure for the first time, never having come across it ever before, and receive such limited information initially from medics - other than increase your fibre, up your fluids - OK, these are valid issues but we get little else!! Everything I believe I have learnt in my own journey has been from this very website. The lack of empathy and compassion from some medics is also shocking, considering the pain endured through this condition - I guess it's a case of only when you experience it for yourself, do you have any understanding of what it's really all about!........It is extremely isolating but rest assured, that there will always be some one here to speak to if things get too bad and you need some kind words or resassurance. Everyone here understands the intensity of pain and there are some great tips & advice to help you through.....
It's encouraging to read however, that you have some answers and direction now. If you do have to take the LIS route, it's not a bad thing and it has been a saviour for a lot of people on this site, who have never regretted the surgery and have healed very successfully from it. Just search for success stories on the site.
Do you have a heating pad or hot water bottle also that you can sit on to help relieve the pain??? Again, a lot of people swear by using this method to gain relief and it also encourages blood flow to the wound to promote healing. It might save you a few hours in the bath??
Truly hoping that the pain starts to reduce soon for you as the Botox kicks in and that you recover from this as soon as possible. All the very best!........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby bumdeal » 26 Sep 2013, 07:47

Thanks Ever the optimist. I'm hoping the Botox works! Feeling a bit rough today. Haven't done much other than lay on the sofa. I'm in good spirits though. It's not quite so painful today but the site has been bleeding. Can't wait till the Botox kicks in. Thanks for the pain management tips.
bumdeal

Topics: 1

Postby Rachael 1984 » 17 Oct 2013, 12:35

Hi BumDeal,

So sorry you are in pain with the Fissures and your other problems. I was in hell back in April, real bad pain and depression from the constant pain. I just couldn't cope.With the help of this forum,Anti depressants and Botox I am feeling so much better. The Botox took about 3 weeks to kick in, and from there on I have really improved. I have also overhauled my diet, because I have IBS I was so constipated that I strained and strained which caused this damn nightmare. You will get there,keep us posted please. Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!