To take ibuprofen or not to take?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

To take ibuprofen or not to take?

Postby rw76 » 26 Sep 2013, 15:11

More questions from the newbie! wheeeeeeee :thankyou:

So - overall improving, feeling better but still have some pain. Seems to totally go away with ibuprofen. The thing is I am always very cautious with medication and I rather not take it. However should I just take two ibuprofens in the AM and have an easier day? Or should I save those for days that I need to be out and about? Does having some pain keep you from healing? I have not been taking more than 2 ibuprofens at a time and mostly 1x a day and it does seem to take the pain away completely.

I am not sure what I should be doing whether to take it and be pain free or pass and have some pain. I am two weeksand a half into my fissure btw. First week was awfulness - second was bad but better - this week so far is still somewhat painful but much improved overall.

What would you do ibuprofen wise?
rw76
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Re: To take ibuprofen or not to take?

Postby Scientist2516 » 26 Sep 2013, 15:20

It's absolutely awesome that 2 ibuprofens is enough to take away all your pain. It sounds as though you are getting better remarkably fast. I'm so happy for you!

I was taking 2 (or even 3!) ibuprofens 3-4 times a day, and my doc said that was fine. I think it's best to break that pain-spasm-pain-spasm vicious cycle, and that being in pain does hurt healing. Pain and stress are bad! I know the stress from pain has increased my blood pressure and given me acne break-outs.

So keep taking it, and good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby rw76 » 26 Sep 2013, 15:23

Thank you! That makes sense. That is what I was afraid that being in pain might prevent healing.
Yesterday I took my two ibuprofens after 3 BM that day and being sore - and about 20 minutes later totally pain free and rallied to a baseball game for 4 hours. I even did a walking loop around the ball park to get some exercise in.
rw76
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Sep 2013, 15:42

Hi rw,
I'm paranoid about taking pills!! Infact I'm my own worst enemy because I'd rather suffer pain than do something practical about it!!
There is no issue with taking two Ibuprofens a day for a few weeks - they can only help you (as they obviously are!!)
It's when people take very high doses in one go, abusing the recommended dosage or on a prolonged basis, that issues can occur.
My GP actually advised me that they are one of the safest pain killers with relatively low side effects, although they cause stomach upsets for some people.
I also can't believe this is taking away your pain totally!! It only took the edge off mine when I was really bad!! Again - this shows goes to show how well you are doing!!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby rw76 » 26 Sep 2013, 15:49

Thank you! You guys are so encouraging. The first week - nothing touched the pain. Last week it helped some for sure but this week seems like it takes it all away. Thank you GOD. I also do accupuncture 1x a week and I always leave a lot more relaxed and pain free from there.
rw76
Salt Bather

Postby jay1975 » 27 Nov 2015, 08:32

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to throw my experience with ibuprofen in...

When my pain was at its worst, I was taking 600mg, twice a day. (600mg immediately when I woke up in the morning, and 600mg around noon). I think it's really important to stay in front of the pain, and I wanted to be sure the ibuprofen was in my bloodstream BEFORE my morning BM.

I was also worried about taking what seemed to me to be a lot of pain medication. I asked my doctor, and he said 1200mg/day was not a problem. He went on to say that he has patients (other ailments such as arthritis) who are taking up to 3600mg/day over a very long period of time.
jay1975
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Wazoo » 06 Nov 2018, 20:33

NSAIDS can be constipating. I try taking ibuprofen only once daily, after the morning BM. I added 300mg docusate sodium (stool softener) when I was using a lot of ibuprofen. Still taking it even after dialing back the ibuprofen. I think I get better overnight pain relief from acetaminophen. I've taken 4000mg acetaminophen some days, but I think it may be bad to keep taking that much for any extended period of time.
Wazoo