How not to push

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How not to push

Postby Now66 » 21 Sep 2013, 19:15

rw76 wrote:I mean you know you have a fissure when you are extatic about having a bm that falls out! Lol

Remember feeling contented with the whole world after a good satisfying poop! I had ONE after about 3 months on the nitro/miralax/fiber/water and thought maybe there is redemption after this AF hell.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 22 Sep 2013, 00:57

Well, I wouldn't have done anything besides sit on the pot if I didn't push sometimes! My naturopath says that some muscular action is normal. I do push from deeper inside (like when you intentionally hold your stomach muscle in). I think it is helpful to not strain too much, but also obsessing too much about pooping probably isn't good for us either! A common help is to drink water (my provider recommends two glasses of cold water which did work for me) or others like a glass of warm/hot water. This stimulates the bowels and 'gets things moving.' Like a surfer....look for the wave (urge) and go with it!
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 22 Sep 2013, 17:39

Hi Lady Madonna and rw76

We hear you. A good read for you starts here...
http://ibs.about.com/od/symptomsofib1/a ... uation.htm

Lady M. They say some of that feeling may be due to your ibs and may be benefit with relaxing techniques that you'll read there. I say whatever works for you guys. I know I stay away from straining or pushing too hard, but I am not at the point where I need not to push at all.

I like what JustPainTired says when she relates that there are muscles down there for that purpose, so some pushing sure sounds natural. But it sure works for others not to push and if you find that you can incorporate this one day into your regime and you have perfected a technique then the no pushing may be right for you.

But if your not quite ready yet or have not the confidence to master the techniques, then please don't feel pressured here to not push at all. We are just throwing out all kinds of ideas here that may or may not be right for you. One thing is for sure though, the less you push the better, so as other say, drink that water take in that olive oil at meals, get your exercise and eat responsibly balacing the right fibers and otc lax's and your stools will be kind to you.

HTH GL
Deleted User 2950

Postby bestofluck777 » 30 Sep 2013, 09:20

Lady Madonna wrote:I just skimmed all the posts in this thread and didn't see any mention of "incomplete evacuation", (which I have) It is a very common symptom of IBS (I have Crohn's Colitis) and it's SO frustrating. I move my bowels at least 3 times every morning, and my stool is not hard at all. (in fact, the 3rd phase is often quite loose). It seems that my stool just doesn't want to leave my colon all at once. I also have an AF (apparently a minor one), along with hemorrhoids, so I know I shouldn't push. But I'll never finish in the bathroom if I don't push a little! As a result, my AF and hems will probably never go away, and my anus gets very sore after the 2nd & 3rd bowel movements.

Anyway, I wanted to mention "incomplete evacuation" in case it may help someone who hasn't heard of it. Failure to complete a bowel movement in one session isn't always due to hard stools.

I just posted a thread as I'm new here and this post resonated with me alot. I am yet to have my colonoscopy but deep down know I dont have Crohns/UC/Colitis - just IBS. I do go 3-4 times in the morning, from hard to soft and its mainly because it feels like I havent completeley finished. What else do you take/do to make your life easier, it keeps getting worse for me as I need to go a few times and the more I go the more it hurts :(
bestofluck777

Topics: 1

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 02 Oct 2013, 00:40

More about poos. As I have paid attention to the bm's.....the first in the morning is definitely the hardest. The plug problem...certainly the most dreaded when my pain was acute and severe...terrible stuff! When things aren't terrible, I can stay on the potty and relax for a few minutes. Almost always there is a second poo (usually softer, no plug) that comes along. When pain was severe...I couldn't stand waiting and went directly for the sitz bath. So, if you can wait make sure you wait for the different parts of the bowel to get it to the launch site! Sometimes there is a second session after breakfast and coffee. I did give up coffee for quite a while. Now I can stand the second trip to the loo and this usually clears things out. Always softer and sometimes gassy. Sorry for the details. All of this was much, much harder when my poor anus was in anguish. I still have mild discomfort but it is manageable with various changes in position, lubrication and still usually the post sitz bath. I am very sensitive to the various sensations and can sense the deeper feeling when the bowels would like to empty. Be patient and wait for these mostly unconscious parts to do their work. Remember the trick of drinking cold water (or warm/hot water) which stimulates your bowels. This was really important earlier on when I had to go despite the severe pain. It is hard to clear the poo when your whole system seizes up! When severe, I used lamaze type breathing and various singing, noises to get through it. My AF was really large and painful......so I do know what you are struggling with! It will get better...keep on helping your system heal!!!! :D
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby dent1 » 02 Oct 2013, 01:52

Totally agree regarding incomplete evacuation / obstructive defecation syndrome as a cause of chronic constipation This was definately the cause of my fissure and treating it has involved surgery to correct the bowel prolapse/ rectocele I had which developed after having children.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4