Pain meds

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pain meds

Postby lefthanded » 02 Oct 2013, 17:41

I have been prescribed narcotic pain meds I used when I have a flare or my AF symptoms are severe. They have always been prescribed by my GI doc, since the fissures are a symptom of my Crohn's disease. I have just been informed that I will now need to go to a pain clinic for pain meds.

My experience is that most pain clinics deal with chronic pain, like bad backs, etc. and are not very good with acute pain. I consider the searing, burning, unrelenting pain of a fresh or aggravated AF to be totally different from managing back pain. I am concerned I will not be able to find a doctor who understands, and my last defense against the debilitating pain will be gone.

Before I get responses about addressing my fissures surgically or with botox, let me say I have no colon or rectum, and have what is known as a j-pouch, or ileal-anal anastomosis, and ANY leakage is highly caustic and to be avoided, so a procedure that has a negative effect, even for a few days, could become life-threatening.

Has anyone else dealt with the new narcotic pain medication laws and pain clinics for medications for this type of recurring, but very acute-type pain? I don't want it to, but this is starting to stress me out.
lefthanded
Salt Bather

Topics: 3