Slow healing after LIS - normal??

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Slow healing after LIS - normal??

Postby omyrear » 07 Oct 2013, 11:01

I had LIS on August 15th and, as some of you may remember from my earlier posts, felt great right away. I thought I was healed. Unfortunately, I re-tore a little over a week after surgery and it has been up and down since then. My CRS put me back on nifedipine at my 2 week check-up, which helped at first, but I am still having issues. It's weird though because some days I don't have any pain, some days I have minor pain, a lot of days I just have pain in my tail bone/coccyx area after BMs (I started feeling this pain after BMs right after surgery, but thought it was due to swelling or something and would go away, but it hasn't completely). The pain isn't anywhere near what I was experiencing before surgery and is almost livable (I've only had 2-3 times where the pain was close to pre-LIS days), but I know it means that things aren't completely healed yet, which means the fissure could come back full force at any time. My husband and I want to have a baby, but I really need to be healed up before going through a pregnancy and delivery.

I'm curious if others have experienced this kind of rollercoaster of healing after LIS and gone on to a complete recovery???

Also, at my 4 week check-up, my CRS said we could try Botox and it might give the muscle just what it needs to completely heal up. Has anyone else had Botox *after* LIS and did you have success with it? I'm considering doing it, but, unfortunately my CRS isn't covered by my insurance so anything else I have done I have to pay for out of pocket. (Surgeon's fee only; the hospital/anesthesia is covered by my insurance.) I've already met my $2,000 deductible for the year, so if I'm going to have anything else done, I really need to have it done this calendar year so I don't have to pay that deductible all over again!

Feeling frustrated!!!
omyrear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Slow healing after LIS - normal??

Postby Bob J » 08 Oct 2013, 07:04

Hi OMR,

I had my operation 14 months ago (LIS and fiissurectomy). I had similar ups and downs but gradually the ups took over the downs Even after 12 months I was still getting the occasional minor bleeding as things healed so I went back to the CRS. No major pains, just a minor discomfort and a niggling worry. He said that it was just about healed (only the size of a match head). He suggested I could get Botox but recommended that I just give it time and continue using a dilator to help healing - no creams. So while I'm not 100% healed yet, life's 100% better than pre-op! Hope this helps. Bob J
Bob J
Fibre Addict

Postby bumtastic » 09 Oct 2013, 11:49

Hi,
I dont have pain but i also have some pull/discomfort around the tail/coccyx bone esp when i pee. Spoke to my CRS yesterday and he told me that it is ok and the fissure location was very close to that area and with the spasms in that area when there was fissure, the discomfort is normal. I am just two weeks post op and i dont know if your case is different from mine.
He also told me that it usually take 6-12 weeks to heal completely, so you might still be healing.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby asdf123456 » 16 Oct 2013, 19:23

I am 5 weeks post LIS/Fissurotomy and still not major healing for me either. It still get very swollen after using the toilet for about 6 hours, especially in my cubicle chair, and I still get blood on the toilet paper, so I don't see much change from before the surgery. The pain may be slightly less, most days, but it wasn't unbearable before, just very annoying and enough to keep me out of the gym. I am extremely depressed and would love to hear a story of someone's fissure that magically healed after showing no progress for 5 weeks after surgery...
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Melmel » 22 Oct 2013, 00:15

I had my op 11 days ago. I still feel pain when I have a BM and have been applying a topical Ana. I feel discomfort and itching when I move but I'm itching to get back to weightlifting. I was training to be a fitness training.. I would hike, lift weights and do high interval training, 6 times a week.

When is it safe to start again?
Some sites say no more than 5 kgs in the first 6 weeks
Other sites say 6 to 9 months...

What is your take on protein shakes and their effects on a healing fissure post LIS
Melmel