Fissure & Piles

New here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure & Piles

Postby dee1565 » 09 Oct 2013, 07:29

Hello, my name is Dee.

I had a fissure years ago that did heal by itself, i now have another one that ive been fighting for 14 months.
It started to feel better for a week or so and then would tear again. Ive been to my doctors as its been full on painful for 4 weeks and not getting any better. I am now on the waiting list for an endoscopy, meanwhile to cope with the pain, im using cream ( not the good one as it gave me a terrible headache) im eating soup and youghurts only, no solid food and taking 4 laxatives a day. I have unbearable days and better days.

Any tips out there on how to ease the pain? Also, with a fissure this bad ( and the piles) wont the endoscopy be really painful?

Thanks for ay help or ideas,

Dee
dee1565

Topics: 1

Re: Fissure & Piles

Postby kap0320 » 09 Oct 2013, 13:24

I wish I had an answer for you. I also have an anal fissure and hemroids. I also would like to know how to ease the pain. My Doctor said it is healing but I still have pain. Although some days I don't have pain. I would also appreciate any ideas
kap0320
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby owmybum » 09 Oct 2013, 13:26

Hi dee,
Welcome to the forum.... But sorry you are here!

What laxatives are you using??? You need to start using a stool softener... Something like movicol /mirilax or lactulose.... An osmotic that draws water into the bowels to keep your stools soft. Along with that you need to drink plenty of water.
Sitz baths or just soaking in regular warm baths for at least 20 mins are really good for relaxing your pelvic area and reducing pain.
Pain killers if needed are ok to take the edge off on really bad days.
Adequate fibre intake is important.... Solunable is best... Insoluble tends to bulk stools up too much, which leads to bigger stools and re tearing.

I'm not sure about the endoscopy... Will you be awake??

Hope that helps for starters!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby kap0320 » 09 Oct 2013, 13:33

Is it common for the pain to come and go? I have tried pain relivers but they don't seem to help. Also I find it to be worse at night. I have been taking stool softners as well as eating more fiber.
kap0320
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 09 Oct 2013, 14:38

It's really common for the pain to come and go, and bad nights are very usual. Ibuprofen helped me a bit - it just took the edge off, and I think, shortened the period of spasming.
Have you tried a heat pad or hot water bottle? Medium heat can really help relax the anal sphincter and ease those spasms.
If you eat more fibre, take fibre supplements or use stool softeners, remember you have to drink lots of water. The fibre helps draw water into the stools, but it can only do that if you are drinking lots.
Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Scientist2516 » 09 Oct 2013, 14:42

By the way, I had a colonoscopy during the time my fissure was at its worst. It was a routine colonoscopy, just happened to be scheduled at the time I got the fissure.

Anyway, I was worried about it, but the cleansing routing the day before was painless, with liquid stools, and the procedure itself was painless with a sedative, and no pain afterwards either. They don't dilate the anus, they just put some tubing up inside you. I think anoscopy would be bad, but a colonoscopy doesn't involve an anuscope.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby dee1565 » 09 Oct 2013, 16:25

Thank you for all the advice, im taking constipation relief tablets they are little yellow pills, im taking 4 a day when your only supposed to take one or 2 a day but my doc knows this and agrees with it on a short term basis, ive been told today after many phone calls that i will have my endoscopy on the 13th november or before if there is a cancellation.

I am hoping they will give me a sedative as just dabbing myself with a wet wipe down there hurts like hell , if i have no sedative i dont know how il cope with them putting something in there!!
dee1565

Topics: 1

Postby kap0320 » 09 Oct 2013, 21:46

Thanks for the information. I will try the heating pad. I can be ok for a couple of days and then the pain comes back.
kap0320
Fibre Addict

Postby kap0320 » 11 Oct 2013, 09:19

Does it take awhile for the fissure to completely heal?
kap0320
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 11 Oct 2013, 09:38

Yes, unfortunately it can take a long time to heal completely. Depending on you and your circumstances it could take weeks to months. For me it took 5 months, but there was some trial and error in there, as I tried different creams and different ways to get soft stools.
Many people have posted their stories here. Read as many as you can, to get an idea of what to expect, and information on what works for different people.
In the meantime, hang in there! Do whatever it takes to look after yourself. It may take a long time, but you'll get there in the end.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516