My 11 Month Fissure Adventure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: My 11 Month Fissure Adventure

Postby fissuremaster » 22 Oct 2013, 12:42

SSK wrote:Hi fissuremaster,

I was wondering what your recovery felt like in those 10 months after Surgery?
I read that you were still having pain but did the severity decrease? Did you slowly start having
Fewer bad days and more good days?
I am very frustrated because I have some good days and then bam suddenly some awfully painful days.
I can't correlate it to my diet so I feel so angry that even after fighting so hard, I seem to be losing this battle.
Any experience you could share would be great. Thanks.

Yeah for the most part I always had a degree of burning and tightness for about 10 months after surgery. For the first couple of weeks it more pain from the LIS wound, but then that healed and the classic fissure pain slowly crept back but it sort of plateaued after a couple of months and I was just left with moderate burning discomfort after bowel movements.

But as you stated, I slowly started noticing a good day here and there. Then 2 good days in a row. Then 3. Then sometimes reset back to having more bad days than good, but eventually they all became good days.

I don't feel like I ever had a big re-tear. It felt like it was just getting 'irritated' somehow on BMs. I felt there was a correlation between the size of the BM and the irritation. When I mean size, I mean if I had a BM that produced a large quantity it would tend to aggravate it more than if it was a smaller bm, even if the smaller BM produced just one larger/harder 'section'. Gory details. Just if it was a lot then I knew it would irritate it a bit more.

How many bms are you having a day? Do you ever hold it in? Are they loose at all? I found those to be as bad as hard ones. Are you applying any medication down there? Maybe lay off for a couple weeks. Still doing sitz baths? I did them pretty much after every BM I could for the 10 months. Sounds ridiculous. It was.
fissuremaster
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: My 11 Month Fissure Adventure

Postby SSK » 22 Oct 2013, 14:21

Your experience gives me so much hope but my cynical mind after having failed so many treatments tells me I will be in this sorry state for the rest of my life. Oh dear God!
So here's the deal with my BMs. Before all this mess started, I went once every day the same time like clockwork. As soon as I got up in the morning, a trip to the bathroom, done with in a matter of minutes and carry on with the rest of my day. Now, it's pretty much the same except that when I wake up in the morning, I have a small BM which is slightly more formed and hurts a tiny bit and within 15-30 minutes I have another one which is nice and smooth and takes seconds to get over with. This second one is looser but not runny or anything like that. This is a pattern that happens everyday without fail. I would ideally like to get the business done with in one go like the good old days but oh well....
I never hold BMs in actually, I think that would drive me nuts. I applied metronidazole ointment for 2 months after the surgery as recommended by my doc but stopped as it did nothing. Nothing as of now. I don't do sitz baths anymore because my doc actually said that too much soaking can make the skin too soft and prone to tearing ( don't know if it's true coz so many people swear by sitz baths). Thanks for your tip about heating pads, will try them.
SSK
Salt Bather

Topics: 6