Chronic Fissure

Trying not to give up hoping to get better

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Chronic Fissure

Postby Stillhoping » 07 Nov 2013, 17:32

I have had a fissure for about ten months so I guess it would be considered chronic. I have changed my diet, increased my fluid intake, taken miralax, magnesium and soak in a tub regularly. I am much better than at its worst--but I seem to have plateaued. I used diltiazem for over two months at the beginning--but progress seemed to stop. I started wheatgrass about two months ago and have recently restarted using diltiazem again. I alternate it during the day with the wheatgrass. My daily pain levels are at about 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. I can live with it if I have to--but, of course, I don't want to. I do not want to consider surgery. I want to heal naturally. Can I reasonably expect any more improvement going forward--or is this likely what's going to always be? Does anyone have success stories healing their fissure after long periods of time? Has anyone used wheatgrass AND diltiazem? Has anyone had success with diltiazem used again months after they used it in the first treatment cycle? What other advice?
Stillhoping
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Chronic Fissure

Postby Phil McCrackin » 08 Nov 2013, 06:42

Hi Stillhoping,

Well there's always hope! I've had a chronic fissure for almost 3 years now. However, I'm adamant to heal it without surgery and have gotten used to living with the symptoms. Like yourself it's not something I enjoy having but I'm convinced it can heal naturally. I've pretty much tried all the creams, altered my diet, etc but this thing is persistent. But cutting it out is something I'm not prepared to do even if I have to deal with it for 10 years!

Most days it's fine (depending on the bowel movement). The pain settles down within a few hours and then I forget about it. I'm basically eating a vegan diet for years. After every bowel movement I have a Sitzbath and walk at least an hour a day. I've stopped using the creams (Nitro/Diltiazem) altogether because they have done nothing; and sticking my finger in my butt twice a day probably exacerbates it anyway.

Recently I have found a few things to be quite good in dealing with the fissure. Firstly, I've been squatting on the floor to eat all my meals and have avoided sitting on chairs and couches as much as possible.

I've also been aware of how much tension I have in my butt. I try to concentrate on relaxing the sphincter muscle as often as I can. I think having a fissure makes you tense up in that area almost all the time - even if you're not aware of it. But reminding yourself to relax down there you can really release that tension. It really wants to tense up but if you let that tension go it's great relief.

The other thing I do is pile up a few blankets on the floor and place a hot water on them. Then I squat down and gently place my butt on the hot water bottle. I think heat is supposed to help getting the blood flowing back into that area. We just need to stay determined!

Good luck!
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Stillhoping » 08 Nov 2013, 10:11

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'm glad you mentioned the sitting issue. I recently began to try to limit sitting as much as I can. I think it's at least helping me to feel a bit better. You are also right about the tension issue. I'm trying to remember to keep those muscles relaxed. Hoping our perseverance eventually pays off!
Stillhoping
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 08 Nov 2013, 11:27

Hi Stillhoping Welcome; you asked;

Does anyone have success stories healing their fissure after long periods of time?

I'm not sure if you call 20 years a long time....... :D . That's how long it took me
before I finally beat mine. Its been about three years now since my last fissure,
where before I was getting them every 4-9 months.

Patience, diligence, reserve, knowledge are just a few ingredients you will
need to really beat these monsters. I did it with diet alone but it took me that
long because of stubborness and ignorance to not want to change.

Yes your fissure will test you sorely on the diet realm. Will you even try giving
this or that up for the sake of your bum seem like an easy decision but over
time can be hard to "mustered". (get it)

Granted you may need surgical or otherwise less invasive intervention if that
sphincter spasming will not calm down with the different creams and what not.
Learning never to strain on the stool and keeping your stool soft will go a long
way in to cutting down those spasms.

Do you really suffer with the spasms, and are they for hours sometimes? If
you really want to do this naturally then get ready for a dog fight and please
never ever tell yourself that this is it, I will not get any better than my current state.
Shoot for total healing and do not except anything less 'cause to me that's
saying ok fissures you win.

GL to you....
Deleted User 2950

Postby Stillhoping » 08 Nov 2013, 11:55

I like your attitude. I don't want to accept that I can't heal my fissure. I hope my perseverance and patience will pay off. Hearing from those who have not given up--and have ultimately healed is helpful.
Stillhoping
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Nov 2013, 03:34

Hey Stillhoping,

Whilst it can take a long time, I believe full healing can still happen but it would seem that natural healing of a chronic fissure takes a lot more patience and time. Please read my attached link for my recovery. I didn't need to use Diltiazem again and I never used the Dr Wheatgrass but I did switch to Coconut Oil.

chronic-fissure-healed-100-naturally-t6665.html

It really is a case of staying strong, disciplined & accepting this thing but with time & many important changes to your diet, toilet habits & mindset, you can go far! and most of the time today, I actually feel pretty normal again, although I know my bottom will be always be potentially one of my weaker areas! All the very best to you :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Flumbaps » 11 Nov 2013, 10:20

Have just read this and really feel for you. I ignored my fissure when I was 18. To be fair, the gp prsecribed gtn, which was a huge help, and mentioned surgery, which scared my bum into behaving itself! If only he had really impressed upon me the importance of diet, low stress and exercise. Now aged 41, I have had two ops in four blooming months, one was tag removal with fissurectomy and Botox, then last week I had more bum tox and yet another tag cut off. The pain s off the scale and is o unpredictable. I think it's years of neglect catching up with me and am terrified that I won't heal, keep my job, or stay off the tramadol. These forums are a godsend as its so miserable waiting oheal, but I do believe that one day it will improve. I am just hacked off that my new life routine consists of movicol, hot bath, painkillers, fibre, bm, movicol, hot bath....!
Flumbaps
Fibre Addict

Postby Flumbaps » 11 Nov 2013, 10:21

Have just read this and really feel for you. I ignored my fissure when I was 18. To be fair, the gp prsecribed gtn, which was a huge help, and mentioned surgery, which scared my bum into behaving itself! If only he had really impressed upon me the importance of diet, low stress and exercise. Now aged 41, I have had two ops in four blooming months, one was tag removal with fissurectomy and Botox, then last week I had more bum tox and yet another tag cut off. The pain s off the scale and is o unpredictable. I think it's years of neglect catching up with me and am terrified that I won't heal, keep my job, or stay off the tramadol. These forums are a godsend as its so miserable waiting oheal, but I do believe that one day it will improve. I am just hacked off that my new life routine consists of movicol, hot bath, painkillers, fibre, bm, movicol, hot bath....!
Flumbaps
Fibre Addict

Postby Flumbaps » 11 Nov 2013, 10:33

And I've just ordered a squatty potty and a tasteful padded electric mini blanket, as the heating does relieve symptoms, definitely.
Flumbaps
Fibre Addict

Postby Phil McCrackin » 11 Nov 2013, 14:09

I think one has to be incredibly diligent in dealing with a fissure. Diet is the big key here. You need to realise what foods are causing trouble and avoid eating them. I would consider a vegetarian diet (unless you are already) at least to see if it makes a difference. Meat is quite heavy on the system. Drinking at least 2 litres (8 glasses) of water a day and keeping yourself active is absolutely essential.

Although I still have a fissure it's barely noticeable if I adhere to a strict diet of easily digested foods. I have a completely new dietary lifestyle now. If I have to live with the fissure I must work with it to make life comfortable down there again.

What I'm mainly eating is fruit and salad. Grains like quinoa, millet and buckwheat are all gentle on my digestive system and cause very little trouble coming out! The main thing I avoid (and never eat anymore) are nuts and seeds. Even if I have a few I will suffer the next day with glass-like stools, bleeding and 10 hours of agony. I limit my bread intake to two slices a day, and that's a spelt flour bread. I no longer have dairy products and substitute milk with rice, soy or oat milk.

I avoid caffeine (coffee and tea). Rooibos tea is a good alternative as is peppermint and fennel. I avoid sugar as much as possible especially chocolate which binds me up. Alcohol makes things a thousand times worse so I've let that go too. Keeping your body really well hydrated (with water) is of most importance. I think eating in moderation is also very beneficial, along with chewing eat bite of food so thoroughly that it's a paste when you swallow it.

The investment in the squatty potty should help. I just perch myself up on the toilet seat to squat and concentrate on relaxing completely down there without the slightest strain or push. Then straight after I jump in the shower or take a sitzbath.

Well.. if I want to deal with this thing (naturally) there's no other way around it apart from discipline. This morning I had a completely pain free BM during and after. It was like the fissure wasn't even there - and it's been chronic for almost 3 years. It's not always so (otherwise I wouldn't be here) but when I eat like this consistently it really makes a difference. But these fissure can be so unpredictable and sometimes you just have days that make you think there's no point trying anymore. But then you just get on with it again..
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6