The leakage after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

The leakage after LIS

Postby aimonaali » 26 Aug 2013, 04:58

Apparently there are quite a few of us who have had LIS and now experience leakage after BM. Meaning that you have to go and wipe again some time after having a BM. But what do you think is the cause of this? Is it that the muscle is too weak and unable to push everything out at once or could it be that it spasm right after the BM and only later loosens up so youo can "reach" the rest of your bum for a proper cleaning?
I'm kinda hoping it's the latter because then there is more change it will go away. Also my butt muscles feel tighter right after the BM and when I go back to have another wipe it feels like I can reach "deeper".
I talked to my doctor about this stuff but his explanation didn't really even fit the symptoms I had so go figure...
Please tell me what you think.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: The leakage after LIS

Postby aimonaali » 29 Aug 2013, 07:11

I'm gonna lift this up since I know there's people who also deal with this... I feel like my leakage problem has got worse the during this week:/ Or maybe it's to do with my diet. Still, it's taking its toll on my self esteem as well as my general mood. Is there a change of this getting better? It's already been about 9 months since my surgery.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 29 Aug 2013, 07:32

Hi, Some people experience minor leakage after LIS, it usually doesn't last very long, sometimes a few months. When the muscle is cut it takes about a year for it to get back to about 80 to 85% of what it was originally. I don't know how long ago you had LIS but if it was recent it's not uncommon for the area to be swollen. When you have a bm sometimes even after you clean up a little stool will show up later when the swelling subsides a bit or when the muscle is fully relaxed. Call your CRS if this continues to happen. I'm sure he'll be able to answer your questions and maybe put your mind at ease. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby aimonaali » 29 Aug 2013, 08:00

While I appreciate you answering it does seem you didn't really read what I wrote..:) As I said, the surgery was about nine months ago so this isn't really early days anymore. My leakage actually started over a month after the surgery and the early days were just fine. And I've already talked to my CRS but his "theory" didn't really seem right. Sometimes he seems to almost answer different questions to what I'm asking...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 29 Aug 2013, 08:13

Sorry I did read your post but missed the 9 months. It takes about 18 months to fully heal from LIS. Maybe you could consult a different doctor. It might be worth a try. Are you having formed bms or loose? Do you take any stool softeners? I wish I could help more but hope this goes away for you.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby aimonaali » 29 Aug 2013, 13:59

My stools are more formed than loose. I only take stool softeners when I eat more than usally. Actually very loose or very solid stools cause the least problems with leakage. It's the ones I have to wipe the most that also "leave" the most for the second wipe..:/
I'll probably go and see another CRS. Mostly because the damn fissure hasn't healed either...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby richibeno » 21 Sep 2013, 08:35

Hey aimonaai
I get this sometimes
It can be worse sometimes
I have stopped stop. Softners this has helped
When I had my operation'for fistula it went through my sphincter muscle when he cut it out it healed OK but left a slight Chanel like a crease in the 6 o'clock position which after a bm and clean up sometimes I may have a little debris stuck in te Chanel which comes out a little latter so i have to clean a gain some times I'm fine others not my crs said this should improve with time' he'd said my op was lie a lis '
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby aimonaali » 05 Nov 2013, 09:50

I write here again because I just need a place to share this. It's getting mentally hard to handle for me. My ass seemed to just get worse at my last CRS visit, just like it did the one before that. The leakage is bigger than ever. After every BM, no matter how clean I wipe myself, half on hour later it's all mess in there. I feel like an old man because my healt is wearing down. I am depressed because of this and I can't even talk to anyone about this...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby smiles18 » 11 Nov 2013, 10:54

I'm so sorry to hear about this, aimonaali. It is hard to feel good when you are having health problems. What did your surgeon say about this problem? Is your fissure healing? Maybe you could get a second opinion.

How is your pain level? I think fissures are especially difficult because there are days where you feel so good and healthy, but the next day you are in pain and having problems all over again. It really does take a toll on your mental health. I would suggest you look into some natural and holistic ways to help you heal mentally. Yoga, meditation, exercise, holy basil & st.john's wort are great for depression. St.John's Wort is almost as effective as anti-depressants.

I hope you are feeling better this week! Sending you love, hugs, and happy thoughts!
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby jr2 » 12 Nov 2013, 00:13

Did you ever get another opinion from another CRS? What is the status of the fissure? Still no healing? Has your doctor sent you for any kind of testing such as an anal ultrasound to check the sphincter muscle and its tone following surgery? Have you ever tried doing an anal/rectal lavage with warm water after a bowel movement with something like a bulb syringe and if so does that make any difference? It seems like some more thorough testing is really needed to get to what is causing this problem. It could be incontinence that can come from having LIS surgery that is manifesting itself this way in you. at the end of a bowel movement there will almost always be some residual stool left over for everyone, and in general it will be very soft stool because it's at the end of the bowel movement. Mix that together with the mucus normally produced in the rectum and a sphincter muscle that doesn't quite have enough strength to hold that back and you wind up with leakage.
jr2