Side effects of Diltiazem-what's next?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Side effects of Diltiazem-what's next?

Postby smiles18 » 10 Nov 2013, 13:01

So I think diltiazem was working well for me for the past few weeks.. I felt some relief for the first two weeks, and then I had a re-tear so I haven't been completely pain free for weeks...but it's not as bad as before. Anyways, I now have this sore spot close to my anus.. I thought it was a cut, but it's really itchy and feels raw. I looked at it and it almost looks like a welt.

Did anyone have this reaction? It's a bit depressing for me because I already tried every other conservative method, and now I have to decide between botox and surgery. I'm a 22 year old woman, so my CRS is hesitant to perform the surgery because if I decide to have kids one day, I might become incontinent :(. However, I don't know if I want to waste any more time being a guinea pig :(. The success rates of botox are far from appealing... I know there is a chance but it's making me wonder, if I couldn't heal with the creams, how will botox be any different? And is it worth the effort when I could be healed with surgery..Also, I had to take a semester off of school to heal, and I'm running out of time. I go back in January and I can't go back if I'm still having problems.

I just want this to be over already. It's been almost a year, and I don't know how much longer I can do this. Sorry for my rant.. I'm just really tired of this.
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Side effects of Diltiazem-what's next?

Postby owmybum » 10 Nov 2013, 13:19

Hey smiles.... It does sound like you are developing the diltiazem rash. I had it.... It looked like little blisters and was soo stingy and itchy. I would stop using it ASAP. You don't want to make things worse.

There have been a few people on the board who had Botox done over the summer, myself being one of them. Out of all of us, I am the only one to not heal. Look at the diaries of JHH, welshdoublefissure and rachael1984 to see great success stories. I think it's the sensible next step..... It may just give your bum that chance to heal all the way.

Hang on in there

:smilyhug:

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby smiles18 » 10 Nov 2013, 13:30

Thank you for your advice and warm words. I really appreciate it. I will definitely look at those diaries to give me some perspective!

Did you have to go under general anesthesia to get the injections? Did you end up getting surgery? Also, did you have any incontinence issues after the botox? Thanks again for all of your help. You've responded to a few of my posts :)
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 10 Nov 2013, 13:38

You're very welcome ... No thanks needed!!! Xxx

Yes, I did go under general for the Botox... There was nothing to it really, so don't worry about getting the Botox done.
I had no incontinence, so to speak, but when I needed to "go" I really needed to go.... I couldn't hold it in!!! With only one toilet in the house, and a husband and three kids.... Well... You can imagine ..... Lol

I haven't had any further surgery, I have to have a pressure test re-done, so I'm waiting for that appointment to come through.
You can read my Botox story on the lis surgery board under "I'm home"

HTH

OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby smiles18 » 10 Nov 2013, 13:45

Thanks! I wish you the best of luck in your healing. I hope you haven't been suffering for too long! AFs are a roller coaster ride..I'm just waiting for the fun part! ha :P
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Postby JHH » 10 Nov 2013, 14:54

I failed to heal on ointments, but healed with botox, so it's possible. I used creams for more than 3 months but never managed to heal on that alone. I also developed a rash from the creams, and had to stop. For me it was a red(ish) area just outside the opening, and it felt irritated and itchy. It went away in about a week after I stopped dilt.

Botox was really nothing. Yes you go under, but it's only for a short time, and I only spend a couple of hours on the hospital. The next 4-5 days I was very sore and had trouble walking, but the burning was gone right away.
I too had no problem with incontinence, although I had a few accidents while applying vaseline before BMs, but I would say I was asking for trouble, sticking my finger up in a bristol 6 cowpad, while having to go...

Botox has a 50/50 chance of healing, and you will know within 3 months if you are one of the lucky ones, so it's really up to you, if you want to invest that time to avoid LIS.

Best of luck to you, whatever you choose!
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby smiles18 » 11 Nov 2013, 10:34

Thanks, JHH! I appreciate the advice and I hope you remain fissure free :)!
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 11 Nov 2013, 15:20

Hi Smiles,
Is diltiazem the only ointment you've tried? I had an allergic reaction to diltiazem too (very bad - whole body rash!) but nifedipine and nitroglycerine were fine. Of course, nifedipine also didn't do squat for me, but luckily nitroglycerine did heal me.
So, all I'm saying is, you may still be able to heal without surgery, if you want to give these other medications a go.
They don't all work for everybody, but one of them may work for you.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16