Seton for Fistula

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Seton for Fistula

Postby diamond2 » 02 Nov 2013, 19:58

Mine were all draining setons as well. After having the various setons in for about 9 months in total they finally did the LIFT surgery. That is where they tie off the two ends of the tract going through the muscle to stop the fistula tract from continuously filling up and draining. My fistula tract went through the muscle which is why they had to do the LIFT. I've also heard of people have the plug procedure which is less invasive. I asked my doc about the plug and I was told that the LIFT has a better success rate, although technically it's still only 50%. When they did the LIFT they laid open the rest of the tract - I had a HUGE wound.. they actually kept me overnight which I wasn't expecting. Not to scare you or anything - it was huge but didn't hurt any more than my other surgeries. What's next for you will depend on where your fistula is located - I assume part of it goes through the muscle since they placed the seton? It will also depend on how you continue to drain and heal up. When is your next follow up?

I find that soaking in the tub isn't as effective as the sitz bath that fits over the toilet - can you get one from your drug store or maybe online? Also, are you using epsom salts or sea salt at all? I've used both and prefer sea salt as it has great healing properties.
diamond2
Salt Bather

Postby carmona81 » 03 Nov 2013, 04:48

Next follow up is in 2 weeks. I don't use any salt. My crs just said soak in tub. In not even sure if it goes thru any muscle. I have to make sure and ask when I see him. All I know is it was a high fistula/very deep. Whatever that means lol.
carmona81
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby diamond2 » 04 Nov 2013, 02:40

If it's very high, that typically means that it goes through muscle. If it's a simple fistula, that usually means it's not going near the muscle so they can cut it all open and lay it open. When it's high/going through the muscle it's very risky to cut that area as it'll leave you incontinent - that is why they place the seton to keep it draining and hopefully dry out the tract. They use procedures such as LIFT and the plug as they don't involve any cutting of the muscle and help to preserve continence.

I would definitely ask your doctor for details so that you can make appropriate decisions for next steps - there are a few options and it'll really depend on your specific case. Also - if you're not already doing this .. I would suggest taking vitamins such as vit C and zinc as they promote healing. I find that soaking in salt helps to draw out more of the discharge - you may want to ask your doctor about this.
diamond2
Salt Bather

Postby carmona81 » 04 Nov 2013, 11:32

Thanks for the tips!
carmona81
Salt Bather

Postby carmona81 » 14 Nov 2013, 06:07

How are you diamond? Any progress to report? I have yet to see my crs, is it normal to still have blood on my gauze? Especially after a bowel movement. I even have blood visible in the toilet.
carmona81
Salt Bather