Seton for Fistula

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Seton for Fistula

Postby littlebutterfly » 22 Jun 2013, 09:15

So six weeks post LIS. Had developed a nasty fistula that was infected. Yesterday had surgery to drain the site and had a Seton placed in that area. Needless to say I am in agony. Not understanding how this works. Prior I had a head on the exterior of the fistula that I was able to manually drain daily. With the Seton the gash is so large and I'm not getting how this helps it drain. Also. Any tips for healing? Besides baths and soft diet? I cannot believe the saga continues. And that I still face more surgery. OMG.
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Re: Seton for Fistula

Postby Savaici » 22 Jun 2013, 17:29

So sorry that you are in pain. I have not had the surgery and can only point you in the direction of the fistula portion of our forum where there is some information and posts.
Also, found a link that might be of some help:
http://fistulasupport.wordpress.com/tips/
I do hope your surgeon has gven you something to control the pain, and know that we are here for you. Hugs!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby littlebutterfly » 22 Jun 2013, 17:58

Thank you. I did not see the fistula section. OMG. I really need a break here. Truly. I think anal issues have got to be the worst. Cannot imagine another part of the body being so vulnerable and difficult to deal with.
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Postby owmybum » 23 Jun 2013, 05:16

I second that LB.... It's just so painfull and sooo personal.. It's just the pits.
I hope your pain levels start to improve over the next couple of days. Xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Savaici » 23 Jun 2013, 10:44

Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby kkmark » 29 Jul 2013, 20:49

Hi Littlebutterfly
I recently had fistulotomy with seton on jul 17. How are you doing? I don't know how this heals. I just got the courage to see my surgery area and just half of it and was like wow that's big.
How are you coping with it? Please let me know.
Thank you Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Diamond » 30 Jul 2013, 10:01

Hey everyone! I haven't been on this site in months - but figured I should come back on here as I'm gearing up for surgery #3. To give you a little bit of a background - been dealing with this for almost 4 years now. It all started off as a recurring abscess, this turned into a fistula. Then given an incompetent surgeon and ridiculous wait times - I delayed surgery for over a year. This lead to a second abscess. Turns out that I have two fistula tracts with one internal opening.
I had my first surgery last October. They placed one seton, and did two fistulotomies. I healed pretty well - but the bad part is that the tract without the seton in it healed over too quickly and there was still some infection stuck inside. So then - surgery #2 in April. They placed a second seton. I still have daily drainage - and sometimes quite a bit of bleeding after a BM. My surgeon wants to open up the rest of the fistula tract and remove one of the setons - just waiting for a surgery date now. The other seton will stay in (it goes thorough muscle). The final step will be the LIFT surgery but they won't do that until everything else settles down.
I find that you get used to the seton over time - I wear soft gauze to catch any drainage. I also wear a panty liner if I'm not home just in case! I've heard that sometimes the tract can drain and dry out on it down and the seton may just fall out. I personally have yet to see that happen. Sitz baths with sea salt offer the best relief. Lately I've been pretty depressed about this ...especially when I realized that it's been FOUR years... I feel like I've wasted away so much of my life. I can't just travel, have kids, do whatever.. I used to love going out - now I find that I'm on the couch watching tv and trying not to eat crap (gotta love emotional eating!).
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby carmona81 » 31 Oct 2013, 04:17

How are you feeling? Had a Seton placed a few weeks ago. Any pointers? Thanks.
carmona81
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby diamond2 » 01 Nov 2013, 12:26

Carmona - Are you having any pain with the seton? I find that trying to lay down rather than sit on it helps. Also, sitz baths really help with the pain.. I use warm water and seasalt and it really does soothe and relax the whole area. You really do get used to the seton - I had setons in from Oct last year to Aug this year. Now mine are both out finally .. and I'm still healing from my last surgery which left me with a huge wound. I'm positive that this is it for me - let's see.. should know in another month or so I expect. If anyone has fistula and/or seton related questions feel free to reach out to me.. who knew I'd become such an expert in the area :)
diamond2
Salt Bather

Postby carmona81 » 02 Nov 2013, 03:42

Not much pain, a little after a bm. The main thing that bugs me is the itching. I don't have one of those things for a sitz bath. I normally soak in the tub. Is that any good? I am wondering what's next? This is a draining Seton, what will they do next?
carmona81
Salt Bather

Topics: 10