alternatives to nifedipine?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

alternatives to nifedipine?

Postby Turk the cat » 01 Nov 2013, 02:31

I was using nifedipine (2%) twice daily for seven months. I recently decided to stop the nifedipine due to increasingly wicked headaches, which I'd been suffering for a few months.

It has only been a week since I quit and the headaches have subsided substantially. Unfortunately, my bum started to hurt too much today, so I used just a wee bit of nifedipine, compared to the "pea" sized dollop I was told to use before. And frankly, I think the size of the portion I was using was the real culprit.

The CSR did cut the prescription down to .3% although I haven't filled the script yet, I would rather not, but a wee dosage might help, at the very least psychologically. I also may just continue with the stronger 2% but just a dab, once a day or as needed.

Does anyone know any alternatives to nifedipine that may not cause headaches? I've been using an organic coconut oil.

Since I'm here I'd like to ask how people are dealing with physical and stress-related pain? I usually try to take just one extra strength Tylenol 3 a day and/or Ibuprofen, which helps with the swelling of my skin tags. I also have a fissure my CSR said has healed, but it sure feels, recently, that I might have a new one forming.

When I was having my headaches unfortunately I was taking a lot of pain relievers which wound up constipating me. Learned my lesson there, to take more stool softeners in that sort of situation.

regards, Turk the Cat
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: alternatives to nifedipine?

Postby owmybum » 01 Nov 2013, 04:06

You could ask to try diltiazem 2%. When I used this I didn't get any headaches at all. It works in the same way nifedipine does.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Scientist2516 » 01 Nov 2013, 11:55

When I switched to nitro (0.2%), I was warned about headaches, so I started with tiny amounts and increased gradually. I'm using quite a big dollop now and have never had a headache. I think whatever you switch to, it's a good idea to start with small amounts.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby jr2 » 01 Nov 2013, 13:20

Are you sure you've been using 2% nifedipine and not 0.2% ? Nifedipine is not supposed to be compounded at 2%. That is a very very very potent dose. Diltiazem is compounded at 2% for fissures, but nifedipine is supposed to be compounded at 0.2% (or at the most, 0.5%) . Typically, nifedipine and diltiazem will not cause headaches and are preferred over nitroglycerin for this reason. But if you really have been using 2% nifedipine it's no wonder you've had problems. That is a pretty whopping dose.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Turk the cat » 03 Nov 2013, 20:23

Hi jr2. Thank you for writing.

Yes, 2% I thought it seemed very high to me as well. To compound the problem, it has been almost two weeks since I got the new prescription. I went just over a week going cold turkey, then had to start using just a dab, as I've been having a real bad flareup.

I'm actually in the worst pain since last December when I got my fissure. That one had healed up and this new one has been slowly-yet-surely announcing itself since mid-September when unfortunately I got constipated. A few days ago I made the mistake of moving a bunch of boxes full of music CD's (good old Sunkist!) and I am paying the price now.

That feeling like you're being cleaved in half. Aargh. It's been a long while since I've felt such discomfort. Things are either going to mellow out or get worse. I am totally in take it easy and move slowly mode.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Postby Turk the cat » 14 Nov 2013, 18:57

Hi everyone. Well, I've been back on the lower dose nifedipene b/c of my new fissure and I've been using a much lesser dose, twice daily. Alas, the headaches have somewhat started again but not nearly as awful as before. I'm going to try to just use sparingly once daily.

Owmybum, I will keep diltiazem in mind, seeing my CRS next week might ask. I have, however read that it has given quite a few people a bad rash.

BTW, I hadn't mentioned something that may also be a side effect of nifedipene, the fact I've had INSOMNIA for many months now. I had been blaming it on nerves, but now I do see it can be a contributing factor of this med. Anyone else been there? On a good night I'll sleep through with only getting up 3-4 times, have a quick pee (although I'm quite sure water intake is NOT the reason for my getting up), prowl the apartment and basically be back to bed within a few minutes. On a bad night, usually only once or twice a week, I'm up about every 45 minutes.

So far I'm more annoyed by the above then suffering. However I see this as a slippery slope. I have got to work on getting a fuller nights rest. So bothersome when one isn't quite sure exactly what is causing the problem (nerves or meds.)

I was taking melatonin (quite good) which definitely extended the hours slept, but stopped when I read on a drug interaction site that nifedipene didn't mix at all with melatonin. I couldn't find the "whys" on the subject. Yipes.

I sometimes take the homeopathic Heel brand Traumeel and Neurexan (their sleep aid) which are quite helpful. I am not usually a great believer in homeopathic stuff, but when it works, it works.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather