Incontinence?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Incontinence?

Postby vdb324 » 20 Nov 2013, 22:24

Hi all,
I had Botox about seven weeks ago. I had a cauterization of my fissure to help with the bleeding about a week ago. I started using a little gauze after noticing some discharge from the cauterization, and also, because I had a feminine infection starting, which I assumed might be from the discharge not being so far away.
Anyway, when I started using the gauze, I noticed that after having a bm (which are usually a 5-7 on the scale, and usually 2 times a day), I notice some residue on the gauze. I'm not sure if this is some sort of incontinence or if the area is just difficult to clean. I dab gently with TP, and then wipe with non-alcoholic baby wipes until I wipe clean, and if the luxury presents itself and I am at home, I take a sitz bath. Even after all of these steps, I still have sometimes noticed a very tiny amount of fecal matter on the gauze later on in the day, and I change it out, and even then, sometimes I find more on the second piece of gauze. However, the rest of the day after that, it's fine.
Is it incontinence? Or, is just difficult to clean because of the bm consistency, the swollen area and the Miralax? Perhaps, I should cut back on my Miralax some more? I am just worried if it is incontinence, because if this second round of Botox doesn't work, I have to go back for LIS, and we all know the risks of incontinence with that...
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Re: Incontinence?

Postby rio » 21 Nov 2013, 14:38

I can not answer your question about incontinence, but I noticed you mentioned feminine infection. I think with us women, the leakage of fecal mater can cause vaginal or/and urinary tr. infection because it is almost impossible to prevent some of the mater loaded with bacteria to spread around, and I guess a very little amount can be enough to cause infection if we are in the moment of weakened immune system and we get another one trouble to deal with. But healthy vaginal flora can help fighting bad bacteria and prevent infection. I discovered vaginal probiotics and use them and I noticed huge difference to the better. A study was done and it is proven that additional amount of lactobacilus rhamnosus in the vaginal flora can prevent bacterial infections in urethra too.
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 Nov 2013, 15:28

Hi VDB,
I doubt very much that it is "incontinence" in the way you are thinking but far more likely that yes, because the area is swollen more right now, your stools are pretty loose and I'm guessing kind of "flake" more? and possibly if you have an internal hem that might have been aggravated through the process, then you are just suffering from small flakes or bits getting "trapped" in some of the the folds of skin whilst having a BM. The reason I'm thinking this is because I had the same experience after surgery and also two aggravated internal hems and I had the same issue for a few weeks......I'd have a BM and then dab a little later to find a little more debris. The best way I found to deal with it is to actually clean with a gentle shower head that sprays the inside opening just a little and everything seems to get cleaned out better.
Hopefully you will find that as everything calms down a bit after your procedure and things settle then the issue should improve a lot, if not entirely stop. Good luck to you :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby vdb324 » 21 Nov 2013, 21:53

Thanks! I have been taking probiotics, which help with that problem. ETO, yes, I think you're right.I do have some internal hemorrhoids, although small, but I think they might be aggravating the problem. To be honest, the area is as a tight as a drum right now, so I highly doubt anything is escaping through. Thanks for your reassurance. Sometimes I feel like I go crazy with every little thing that seems "out of place" now.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby ravians » 22 Nov 2013, 00:41

yes vdb its incontinence. before surgery I was in extreme pain and I became incontinent. that was surprising for me but it actually happened. I also told about it it to my surgeon so that he could plan my surgery according ly ly.now after7 months of my surgery I still sometimes become incontinent to the extent as u explained. but I do the same as ETO told u . I use toilet shower after bm I wash the area first n then I squat n then keep rinsing with warm water using toilet shower n third finger of left hand. it usually clean the area area n then usually I don't feel any incontinence.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby richibeno » 22 Nov 2013, 11:27

Hi vbd 'i had botox and had low fistula which went through my internal sphincter muscle 'i had an op to remove it and after healing I was left with a little gap in the muscle like a crease which catches some debris even after a good clean up and shower rinse 'i go back a couple of hours latter and have a quick clean again with wet wipes 'tis usually sorts it will be fine then 'I use a bit of cream to keep the area from drying out to much
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby aimonaali » 23 Nov 2013, 07:35

I had LIS done and I have the same sort of leakage. I think it has something to do with the muscle not being able to push out everyhing from the rectum while having a BM and it just comes out later. In my case the muscle also tightens after BM so that it's hard to wipe well. I use shower also but it doesn't help.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15