Pro-Fissure Desserts?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Pro-Fissure Desserts?

Postby SunshineHope » 02 Oct 2008, 02:48

Does anyone have any ideas for pro-fissure desserts? I'm guessing vegan desserts would be the best idea because dairy blocks many people up (although a bit may not hurt, e.g. a bit of butter).
All I can think of is:
-Raisin Bran cake/muffins? (there are so many recipes everywhere and that's high in fibre)
-Fruit smoothies? mmm. If you have a good blender these turn out so good & you can mix in juice to make it taste better.
-Maybe some moist carrot cake? I saw a recipe once & the only dairy it called for was eggs (I used egg replacer because I'm close to vegan). Usually the ingredients are fairly fissure friendly e.g. carrots, apples or apple sauce, oil, raisins, etc.
Any other ideas or recipes for fissure friendly desserts?
:conga:
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: Pro-Fissure Desserts?

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2008, 06:46

I eat frozen yogurt with active cultures. I figure that will help with digestion and I have never felt constipated or had other issues with it before. I woud think sherbert would be a good option too.
I have a recipe for brownies that uses baby food prunes instead of oil so that could have a potential positive effect or at least it wouldn't be constipating!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Oct 2008, 06:50

I think the fruit smoothies idea is great using fresh fruit, sounds quite yummy to me!!!
I think any dessert that involves fresh fruit and less dairy would be fine and delicious!
Deleted User 5

Postby pinky » 02 Oct 2008, 10:29

im sticking to fruit smoothies for now.i thought sugar helps to move the bowels.i miss cakes and brownies.
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby val » 02 Oct 2008, 12:07

I have a fruit smoothie every night and I'm totally sick of them! :D
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Oct 2008, 13:43

Is it the same "flavor" every night Val? Can you just eat a fresh apple or banana?
Pinky, sugar will generally speed up the digestive process though I believe too much sugar (and fast transit times) will make digestion less efficient and is more likely to create stool problems..
That said, natural sugars that are already bound with the molecules in food are almost always OK.
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 02 Oct 2008, 13:51

I was eating fresh fruit all the time, and got fed up with it, now I've got fed up with the smoothies! No, they're not the same each night although I find whizzed-up fruit kinda all tastes the same Image :D
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Oct 2008, 13:53

I guess different people have different tolerances for redundancy. I eat pretty much the same thing everyday -- except for lunch -- and rarely get tired of it!
Deleted User 5

Postby Jen » 02 Oct 2008, 13:57

You can never loose with fresh fruit, but if you want something a little naughty...
Try making oatmeal cookies. Use whole grain oats and instead of boring old raisins, put in some sun dried blueberries or cherries.
Recently I have noticed certain chocolates have fiber. I have some bite sized Dove dark chocolates, and a serving size is 4 pieces and has 3 g of fiber.
Also, with benefiber, you can actually spinkile it into any dessert recipe to add fiber. i did this with some brownies this weekend and my butt had no regrets!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Oct 2008, 15:28

I guess I am lucky in that respect ( now said - I will probably NOT be lucky any more LOL, but never mind). I can eat any desert and have no problems , but again, I had no poop problems before I got the fissure, always was regular and medium soft Image .
I guess any cake with fruit in it (or pumpkin, or carrot etc. ) should be OK Image - but if not sure - better stay away from it all until the fissure heals .
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61