Problem with Lactulose?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Problem with Lactulose?

Postby Cymraeg » 01 May 2011, 07:21

Hey there,
Anyone else had problems with Lactulose? I have been on it since Thursday, and have been really constipated since then. I haven't passed a movement since I started on it, and have been keeping on my quest to eat more fibre, so it's got to be the Lactulose. It says it will work in 48 hours, but has anyone else experienced a longer waiting time?
Cymraeg
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Problem with Lactulose?

Postby spamfree1232002 » 13 May 2011, 13:00

Hi Cymraeg,
How are things going now?
It took a couple of days for the lactulose to cut in with me (and as I remember that was after changing from an ispaghula husk product). And you do need to take on plenty of fluids (but not too much caffeine or alcohol).
Also it may depend on how much of the lactulose you're using - it's a tough balance. On the whole do not be tempted to change the amount too much too quickly (I once took a good bit more, and ended up with making quite a few visits - not too comfortable).
All the best.
spamfree1232002
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Cymraeg » 14 May 2011, 10:42

It took a good two weeks for it to kick in and work on a schedule. Spamfree, you're so right about the amount. It was a bit of an experimentation period, but now I think I have it down. It took about 8 days for anything to be affected at all, but now things are going quite a bit better.
Had another apt yesterday, basically to touch base and see how things are going, and as things had a slow start, I'll be on this treatment for another 2 weeks before a real checkup to see the progress. No retears in about a week! Yippee!
Cymraeg
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Jul 2011, 10:32

My doc thinks I am having problems with lactulose with stomach cramps. Not sure if anyone else has had this? I do have IBS but this is different. Need to keep up the lactulose for the fissure, but need to stop it for the cramps - eek! :o
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby dwarfs8 » 26 Aug 2011, 03:41

lactulose gives me a lot of gas too... and i have been taking for a long while now, till it doesn't really soften stools a lot anymore...
i have tried fybogel in the past too, at first was good but then caused my stools to be too bulky at times and re-tear if that day i ate too much veggies too...
so.... sigh.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby of all the places to hurt » 27 Aug 2011, 05:54

I refuse to take lactulose ever again!! Especially with our condition. I found I got stomach cramps and when it did kick in my bm's where aggressive.
Movicol is my best friend now for when I am running behind in the stool race ;-) Try it!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby val » 27 Aug 2011, 08:52

I got bad stomach cramps from that stuff too!
As Andrea says, movicol is much better!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86