Pudendal Nerve Block

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Pudendal Nerve Block

Postby Guest » 21 Apr 2007, 19:02

Hi everyone :hi: , you may recall that I had my LIS about two and a half weeks ago ... my recovery has been great and I'm reasonably confident that I've broken the chain with AF's and all their pain.
I just wanted to share something with everyone else on the forum who is still seeking medical options with their AF's.
I received the itemised bill from my CRS yesterday, and he listed a procedure which surprised me called 'Pudendal Nerve Block' which he performed at the same time as my LIS.
I Googled it and found that he had injected steroids and anaesthesia into my pudendal nerve whilst I was under the GA for my LIS. I don't know why he decided that was necessary; and I'm not complaining given my great recovery Image ... but for those people still investigating options you may wish to discuss with your doctor :IMO:
I have my follow-up visit with the CRS in a month, and if I find anything elese that interesting I'll post details.
Best wishes to everyone ... Image

Re: Pudendal Nerve Block

Postby Guest » 21 Apr 2007, 19:25

Hey there,
So glad you are on the mend and could join us!
How interesting that you bring up the PN block Mr. Steve! I have had quite a few pudendal nerve blocks over the years to help control pudendal neuralgic pain. I didn't realize some doctors used it as an adjunct to anesthesia though for surgery.
The blocks I had were great at numbing up that area for a few hours to try to break the pain cycle. I can see how it would be useful for patients with AF during surgery and perhaps as a way to control the pain?? The steroids that they inject help to reduce the inflammation on the nerve to help calm it down.
I know with mine that had to use real time xrays to guide the needle into the right area.
I wonder if this procedure helped the amount of your post-op pain? How very interesting!
I would be very interested in hearing what your doctor says about using this and his rationale. Maybe it would show some promise for general rectal discomfort from AF?
I have to say that for me the effects were moderate with some alleviation of pain but nothing miraculous. I can only have 3 of them a year (per my pain doctor) because of the potential problems of high steroid exposure.
Again, congrats on your healing and thanks for your post!
Take care,
Lecia

Re: Pudendal Nerve Block

Postby laninq » 02 Apr 2018, 03:01

About a pudendal nerve block during surgery. I don't have medical education and can assume what the surgeon try to prevent. A nerve damage and neurlagia during manipulation and cutting the tissue. This is a good practice according to my estimation. To secure the nerve area. My operation was done without it and one year after I still have some nerve discomfort in the vaginal-anal area.
laninq

Topics: 1