Question for those who have had LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Question for those who have had LIS

Postby dcc » 25 Aug 2013, 07:54

I'm 2 days post op. Feel pretty good, just a burning feeling. Yesterday I hadn't had a BM yet and being concerned for constipation, I took some Milk of Magnesia. It worked too good and I ended up with diarreah. I made it to the toilet in time always though. This morning in the shower a poop just slid out with no warning. Now I'm freaking out that I'm gonna have this problem. Is it normal to have incontinence that is temporary? I'm sure hoping this doesn't mean I'll have this problem long term.
dcc
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Question for those who have had LIS

Postby aimonaali » 25 Aug 2013, 10:06

From what I've understood some incontinence can happen a couple of months after the surgery. Was it solid poo or still diarreah? After the surgery you might also be a little "out of touch" with yout butt and not be able to tell the signs of needing to go or just having to angel gas.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Question for those who have had LIS

Postby resume » 25 Aug 2013, 14:20

I overdid the stool softeners and had diarrhea for the first 3 days after my surgery. I had slight incontinence and leakage for the first week but it is gone now a month and a half later. Most often the incontinence is temporary. Glad to hear you're feeling better! :)
resume
Salt Bather

Topics: 2