Raw veg, salad, coleslaw, good or bad?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Raw veg, salad, coleslaw, good or bad?

Postby StevePain » 17 Mar 2010, 07:22

The past few days i've been adding extra things to my diet and may have overdone it, for instance, yesterday I had extra salad and wholemeal bread with my soup at dinner time, then at tea time I had jacket potatoes with garlic and herb coleslaw + salad, anyway this morning I went for BM as usual and everything seemed ok until i'd actually finished then I was left with a burning dull ache which i'm struggling to shake off (even after using the Diltiazem), the only thing(s) I can put this down to is the salad and coleslaw with it's raw veg content, maybe I passed some raw veg in my BM and this just caught my fissure on the way out.. Image
If anyone else has had a similar experience with raw veg, salad and coleslaw, I would like to know, maybe it's just my screwed up a$$.. Thanks in advance!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Raw veg, salad, coleslaw, good or bad?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Mar 2010, 10:03

Raw veggies (salads and what not) for me are no good, but that's only because my GI tract doesn't digest them very well. They give me the runs and usually irritate my fissure, which is why I stick to boiled veggies only. Some raw fruits are okay but even those I have to be careful with.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 17 Mar 2010, 13:33

That's what has happened to me, it's irritated my fissure, hopefully i'll get back to where I was in a few days, shame though I was doing really well, I guess that'll teach me for changing my eating regime (never again!) :(
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Mar 2010, 13:45

I eat the exact same thing every single day (no joke), after a while you get used to it :) And yeah I learned the hard way too...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 17 Mar 2010, 13:53

Up to yesterday I was eating the same thing all the time, I never thought salad would cause any problems but now it's back to the diet for good, no turning back, i've got approx 4 weeks left to get reasonably healed (i'm beginning to doubt that now) after todays set back, but i'll give it my best shot, in the back of mind i'm set for the op, I want rid of this thing forever, it's controlled me for far too long...
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Mar 2010, 15:12

Any bleeding today or was it just more pain than usual?
Honestly I'd agree, 4 weeks probably isn't long enough to make meaningful progress from a chronic fissure even if things are going well. Any setback is pretty likely to nuke that timeline :( Personally I want my fissure gone too but I'm pretty scared of LIS. I'm trying to hold off as long as possible. I probably should have just gotten it done a long time ago but for some reason I'm still dragging my feet out of fear.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 17 Mar 2010, 15:49

Steve,
Sorry to hear of the setback!! That's one reason I lost weight during the time I had the fissure. I ate basically the same thing day after day (turkey sandwich every lunch), and after awhile I lost my appetite and interest in food. I dreaded every mealtime. Now it's a different story!! :roll: But I feel thinner today since I exercised this am.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 17 Mar 2010, 16:32

Not had any bleeding just burning pain, I'm not particularly scared of LIS, just the recovery that worries me, but i've weighed up the options, this pain forever or LIS, not a hard choice really, i'll do whatever it takes and go through anything to get my life back.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 17 Mar 2010, 16:37

Thanks cheryl,
I really thought that eating salad and raw veg would be ok, basically i've overdone it, the consistency of BM had altered I think it may of been too watery, it's either that or some undigested veg had passed and caught the fissure on the way out, it really shows how diligent we have to be with our diets, a lesson has been learnt!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 17 Mar 2010, 16:52

Probably because it was too watery (too acidic). Good new is that after you heal, you won't have to be so diligent!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46