Rectogesic help

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Rectogesic help

Postby Ash1988 » 23 Nov 2017, 04:04

Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone could help me out!

I’ve been struggling with anal fissures since the birth of my baby 5 months ago!

I have been using rectogesic (GTN) for 7 weeks. My original fissure site doesn’t really hurt any more. However I feel like after about 4 weeks of use I developed another fissure st a different site. This one still hurts, although more of a burning than a sharp pain. I haven’t seen any blood for around a week.

Each time I have a BM I’m quite frightened that it’s going to hurt and I seem to have a burning/throbbing sensation that lasts for a few hours. Could this be spasms?

Anyway it’s says on the rectogesic instructions to only use for 8 weeks. But I don’t feel healed and I’m terrified of the horrible glass like pain returning! Has anyone used for more than 8 weeks and does anyone have any advice?

Will the burning ever go away? Is it possibly caused by my anxiety?

Thanks for all the help!
Ash1988
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Rectogesic help

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 Nov 2017, 06:02

Hi, sorry to hear your suffering
I have used rectogesic for just over 2 years on and of and continually for about 18 months of that time. Your doc can keep prescribing it until the fissure is gone. The 8 weeks are there as if a fissure is still there after that time period it can be considered chronic and other treatments can also be considered. I continued to use it when I had Botox and LIS and use it now even though my fissure has healed because when I have a flare (crohns) the the fissure site and the incision site can set of mild spasms which the GTN helps with.
Yes what you are describing does sound like mild spasms and it’s really not pleasant, there are other creams you can try if you feel the GTN isn’t working like diliatazem...I was allergic to that though.
I’m sure with a few more week you will heal well...as your fissure was caused by childbirth then your sphincter tone may be normal and your body just needs time to heal. Make sure your having lots of sitz baths and aren’t wiping with toilet paper I shower but some use. Portable bidet wet wipes or wet toilet paper.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Ash1988 » 23 Nov 2017, 07:54

Thanks so much for your reply! It’s a total nightmare isn’t it?

I’m going to see my gp tomorrow, but to be honest I don’t know what they can do, it’s not horrifically painful, but it feels like it could get there again!

Thanks again

Ash
Ash1988
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 Nov 2017, 11:00

Yes when my spasms were at their worst I was literally rolling round the floor sobbing in agony. Your gp should refer you to a CRS where they can give you a lot more info.
I also take gabapentin when the spasms are bad as it’s the only thing that helps and it isn’t an opioid so won’t make you sleepy
Mypoorbutt

Postby Ash1988 » 24 Nov 2017, 02:59

Thanks!

Feel a bit down about the whole thing, was bleeding again this morning and not really sure what to do!

Feels like everywhere is irritated instead of just one fissure site!

Was surgery what healed you in the end?

Been going on for so long I can’t remember what it used to be like!
Ash1988
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Nov 2017, 09:10

You probably need to push to see a CRS as GPs really aren’t as good when it comes to fissures or any other bottom issues to be honest.
I had LIS and although it took a while to heal due to my crohns I’m now pretty much back to normal unless my crohns plays up.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Ash1988 » 24 Nov 2017, 10:26

Yeah GP examined me today which I think has made the whole situation worse! She is referring me to a CRS although who knows what the waiting time will be! Thanks for the reply!
Ash1988
Salt Bather