Scared to death about my Lateral internal sphincterotomy

What was your experience!!??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

On a scale of 1 t0 10 how was the recovery from your internal sphincterotomy for an anal fissure?

Poll ended at 10 Nov 2013, 07:11

1. a breeze
No votes
2. eh... minor
27%
3. tylenol will do yah
No votes
4. hmm... betta take two
No votes
5.extra day or two outta work
27%
6.harder then expected but better then fissure
27%
7. THIS SUCKS
9%
8. oOW! *pops pill*
9%
9. omg oww.*calls Dr.*
No votes
10. *step on a lego pain* visit to er
No votes

Total votes : 11

Scared to death about my Lateral internal sphincterotomy

Postby Lmdouce » 11 Oct 2013, 07:11

Hey Everyone,
Im scheduled next Thursday for a
Lateral
internal sphincterotomy for an anal fissure. Been in serious pain since the end of July...I have done the Nitro cream 3 times a day and since im off all summer being a teacher, im in the tub 3-5 times a day. Cried myself to sleep last night I am so scared of this procedure. Not so much the pain because The pain I have had in the last 3 months cant POSSIBLY be less then the surgery pain. Im concerned about incontinence and possible long term adverse effects from the procedure. Im 33 years old..an EXTREMELY active healthy female that works out 4 days a week...runs 15 miles a week...hikes mountains all summer..and I cant imagine giving that up. What are the chances after the surgery im a hot mess who cant leave her house?/ What am In for....I feel like I don't even understand whats happening or what is going to happen....can anyone give me their experience? Does anyone think the odds are for/ against this incontinence situation!!

Lisa
Lmdouce
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Scared to death about my Lateral internal sphincterotomy

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 11 Oct 2013, 15:00

Hey Lmdouce

I'm doing the same as you, taking a poll, only perhaps we would get more results if people new we were taking a poll.
I just changed my title to "Taking a poll then adding the main topic, hopefully this will bring more people in. Try it.

As for your surgery, I haven't had one, but listening to the countless times I've heard about it in here, the incontinence thing if it doe happen will clear up on its own in a few days.

It's been talked about a lot on this forum, heres the link click on this................

search.php?keywords=incontinent

Lmdouce also I just put a link of your poll in the LIS section for more hits.
Last edited by Deleted User 2950 on 12 Oct 2013, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 2950

Postby Lmdouce » 11 Oct 2013, 15:40

Thank you im new to this ..
Lmdouce
Fibre Addict

Postby Positive Girl » 12 Oct 2013, 08:11

Hi guys, I HAD suffered from an AF since July 2009 on / off, from Jan to May of this year I nearly lost my life with the pain, had never experienced a worst time in my life, give me child birth anytime. Anyway, won't bore you with the details, you know what it's like but last Saturday, only a week ago I had LIS......why oh why didn't I have it years ago I am asking myself. Woke up from procedure no pain, just slight uncomfortable sensation in my bum, needed to take a few over the counter painkillers that evening Was dreading my 1st BM as the packing from the surgery had to come out too, but too extra laxative as advised by surgeon and drank lots of water that evening and my first BM literally slipped out, no fissure pain just slight pain from incision and stitch ( I had open surgery) I waited for the AF pain it never came, have been to the loo every day in 8 days and NO FISSURE pain only site of incision discomfort.

So please don't be afraid it's not as bad as it's cracked up to be !!!!!!!! Get the pun !!!!!!!!! Sorry !!
I am not taking away from others experience of LIS, everyone is different and I went into surgery in a position that I was managing the pain quite well, probably around a pain level 1 or 2 where I had been up at around 8 or 9 earlier in the year it just wouldn't heal.

Surgeon said I had a "humdinger" of a fissure which would never have healed without surgery.

Wishing you the best of luck, it will change your life and I wish you lots and lots of healing.
Just one thing I am watchful for is bending / lifting am being very careful am not taking any chances but I did manage to walk about 1/2 mile during the week and looking forward to getting back to my tennis / hill walking etc

And no incontinence of any description or leaking wind I just feel that the opening is just not as tight and restrictive as it was.

Good luck !
Positive Girl
Fibre Addict

Postby omyrear » 12 Oct 2013, 09:05

I had LIS in August & was terrified prior to surgery too. It really wasn't bad though & definitely not as bad as the fissure pain. I had no incontinence whatsoever. I think it really is very rare & is mostly experienced by older people, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. (Easy to say, and I know I worried about it prior to surgery too!) My issue has been that I am still not healed, so that's extremely frustrating. I think most people do very well though. Good luck to you!
omyrear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Lmdouce » 14 Oct 2013, 17:56

you have NO idea how glad I am you say that...Im so axious right now...expecially since I am in SO much pain allready...thank you so much

Lisa
Lmdouce
Fibre Addict

Postby soffiler » 15 Oct 2013, 14:37

Not actually voting in the poll because I can't choose just one. The day after surgery wasn't bad, I'll give it a #3 tylenol will do ya, or maybe #4. But no BM that day. The following day, scared to death, I had a BM, and WOW, hello surgical incision! Bleeding (my AF never bled, but I know others do) and a #7 THIS SUCKS. Next day or two, down to #5. Next several days, tapering quickly to #2. Overall, if and when I face LIS again (I am dealing with a re-tear so it's a clear possibility) I know what to expect and it really isn't THAT bad... plus my first LIS was very effective for 4 years and ABSOLUTELY worth it!
soffiler
Fibre Addict

Postby Lmdouce » 15 Oct 2013, 15:31

WOW....a re-tear!? im so sorry....stool softeners help?
Lmdouce
Fibre Addict

Postby soffiler » 15 Oct 2013, 16:04

It took four years, but yes, a re-tear. Reading around this forum, re-tear sounds pretty common. Before facing surgery again (which I WILL face if it comes to that; sure it's uncomfortable, but so is the freakin' AF, and the surgery IS very effective) I am working on dietary changes, emphasizing soluble fiber over insoluble fiber (I was whole-wheat crazy before this episode); also, I believe I have finally figured out the correct dose of Diltiazem ointment (it says a "pea-sized" blob twice daily; I am using at least that amount and maybe then some) as well as the correct technique, massaging it directly on AF and getting it well distributed in the whole region; some ducosate stool softeners; and finally, a new hint I picked up on this forum - coconut oil "suppositories" consisting of a simple hunk of solidified coconut oil,,which is tricky but I am developing a technique to get it up there before it melts. I am only a few days into this latest routine and actually feeling VERY good, but, I don't want to get my hopes up; the damn AF seems very variable and sometimes calms down then flares up for no apparent reason. Still, I must say I am learning tons of information from this forum and thinking I might just get it healed up with no surgery.
soffiler
Fibre Addict

Postby Lmdouce » 15 Oct 2013, 20:21

Im sure you have but have you tried the nitroglycerin ointment? its 2/3 effective...IDK if it would work for u...I fin sitting in warm baths is helpful...but at the stage were at its pretty much a princess band-aid on a butcher knife wound...but...it may help in conjunction with other tratment...im in the tub sometimes 3 times a day :=/
Lmdouce
Fibre Addict