Scheduled for Botox

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scheduled for Botox

Postby Guest » 11 Oct 2007, 08:23

I'm scheduled for Thursday October 18th. Really nervous. Hoping this gives me an edge on the healing process. Wish me luck.
Also, for those of you who have had the procedure any info on what to expect during and after would be greatly appreciated. For instance, do you guys still lube up before a BM or is not a good idea to mess with the injection site?
Thank you all for you continued support. I really don't know what I would have done without you guys and this site. I've learned more here than from any doctor.

Re: Scheduled for Botox

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Oct 2007, 08:34

I haven't had the procedure, but after it's all over, do make sure you stay on the diet and continue to treat yourself fully as an AF sufferer, as your fissure will still need to heal. In other words, don't let the lack of pain cause you to lapse in your everyday AF treatment.
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 11 Oct 2007, 12:17

Do everything the same!!!! Same diet, same lube (maybe even switch to neosporin for a few days if you are worried about infection).

Also, for the first few days you might want to take more baths because there is a small risk that the injection site could get infected, but since it is so near the exit, warm baths should help keep the area clean and prevent infection.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 12 Oct 2007, 08:19

Thanks guys. I will definitely continue with the routine. I know that the botox is not a cure only a facilitator in the healing process. I need something to help relax the muscle. I'm so tight down there that even having a soft BM is becoming an issue.

Postby Guest » 12 Oct 2007, 08:25

I haven't had the procedure but wanted to wish you luck and all the best. I know you are nervous but I am excited that you are taking a step towards healing.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 12 Oct 2007, 10:25

I need something to help relax the muscle. I'm so tight down there that even having a soft BM is becoming an issue.
The BP creams are great for the tightness, have you tried them? I can't remember if you'd mentioned them earlier or not.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 12 Oct 2007, 12:13

Yes, I've been on Nifedipine for 12 weeks now. It has helped with the spasms and tightness but hoping the botox can give the edge on healing that the Nifedipine isn't.

Postby buttgirl » 12 Oct 2007, 12:24

I found that botox offered constant relief where the nifedipine and nitro only offer incremental relaxation. I'd put them on and they'd last for anywhere between 20 min and 2hr. then it was back to the squeeze. Even then, my behind was never so relaxed as with the botox. Even after three months, the spasms for the most part are still gone, though the muscle is back to functioning.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Patty went to the surgery room. I bent over in the CRS office and was done and off to a work meeting in 5 mins. I was in so much pain that I figured the numbing shot didn't matter, so i refused it (numbing or botox, it's a shot anyway, and I knew I'd only be getting one more). Really it was nothing compared to what I went through at every bm every day. I was like "prick, ouch, was that it?"
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 12 Oct 2007, 13:46

Thanks buttgirl. What you describe is exactly what I'm hoping for. The nifedipine definitely only offers temporary relaxation, don't think enough to help me in the healing process.
The procedure will be done in the office. I'll be getting the numbing shot followed by 2-4 of botox depending on what my CSR deems necessary. He didn't give me the option of not taking the numbing shot.

Postby Cheryl » 12 Oct 2007, 17:11

bum issues wrote:Thanks guys. I will definitely continue with the routine. I know that the botox is not a cure only a facilitator in the healing process. I need something to help relax the muscle. I'm so tight down there that even having a soft BM is becoming an issue.

im so glad to see this comment, 'only a facilitator in the healing process'
i havent had botox, but ive had LIS and i would treat the recoveries exactly the same.. you are just allowing you body to heal its fissure..
im so glad you are on the right track.. i am positive you will have a full recovery!! Image
Cheryl
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22