Scheduled for Colonoscopy and Nitroglycerin question...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Scheduled for Colonoscopy and Nitroglycerin question...

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2007, 08:29

I'm having a colonoscopy next Wednesday. Was extremely worried about retearing the fissure during the exam but my Gastro was very simpathetic and reassuring. Right now I'm more worried about the prep than the exam itself.
Happy ass, thanks for the tip on the using vaseline. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to handle the prep.

Postby happyass » 29 Aug 2007, 21:09

you know bum, everyone kept saying how bad the prep was and that it was the worst part....for me honestly, it was the easiest and nothing bad at all.
for me the worst part was waiting in the waiting room to get prepped for the OR - i thought i was going to be taken to a little room and then put to sleep but i was tricked and walked right into the OR and freaked out!
anyway, what kind of prep are you having? are you simply having pills or do you have to drink lots of fluids with a med in it? this will help me give you some pointers.....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 30 Aug 2007, 05:01

Happyass.... I would like some pointers on the prep also. I will be eating light 2 days before and only clear fluids 1 day before.
The prep will be drinking 10 oz of Magnesium Citrate, mixing a 32 oz Gatorade with a bottle of Glycolax, drink another 10 oz bottle of Mag. Citrate, and taking 3 Dulcolax tabs.
Oh my...that sounds like quite a bit of prepping!
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jennie

Postby buttgirl » 30 Aug 2007, 09:52

Drink a lot of water. Take the day off if possible and relax.

Don't eat your favorite broths. They come out the other end with a smell resembling the original, but with much more putrid stench enmeshed. I still can't eat salmon broth without recalling that smell!
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 30 Aug 2007, 10:13

I'll be taking four Bisacodyl tablets at noon and then starting the HalfLytely solution (sodium chloride, etc…) at around 6pm. Like Jennie only clear liquids the day before and nothing after midnight. The one hassle is that my exam is not until 1:30pm so it'll be a long time with out eating. Can I drink water the day of the exam?

Postby buttgirl » 30 Aug 2007, 11:26

I was told I could drink water until 3 hrs before the exam. I don't know if that's the same for everyone though.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 30 Aug 2007, 14:20

bum issues wrote:I'll be taking four Bisacodyl tablets at noon and then starting the HalfLytely solution (sodium chloride, etc…) at around 6pm. Like Jennie only clear liquids the day before and nothing after midnight. The one hassle is that my exam is not until 1:30pm so it'll be a long time with out eating. Can I drink water the day of the exam?

I was told not to drink anything after 6:00am. My exam is not until 1:00pm, so I'll be starved right with you! My exam is not until the 10th though.
Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.
Jennie

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2007, 09:48

When I have my colonoscopy, my pharmacist said to get the go-lytely really cold and drink it through a straw-- He said the straw would help me a lot. It DID!
I don't think you can drink ANYTHING the day of your procedure, but I honestly, I don't quite remember.
Good Luck!

Postby Guest » 06 Sep 2007, 13:04

So everything went well with my colonoscopy. Thank God the doc found nothing abnormal. The procedure itself was a breeze. The staff was excellent. If you're in NYC I'd recommend Kips Bay Endo Center if you ever need to have a colonoscopy done. The prep was bit rough for me. It didn't hurt my fissure but the whole process left my buttocks feeling raw and irritated. Still dealing with that.
Thank you all for the advice and good wishes.

Postby Guest » 06 Sep 2007, 14:05

Glad you survived and the results were encouraging!!!! :cheer: