Scheduled for Colonoscopy and Nitroglycerin question...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Scheduled for Colonoscopy and Nitroglycerin question...

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2007, 13:50

I saw a gastro today for the first time. She suggested a colonoscopy and trying nitroglycerin. I told her I had seen a CRS and surgery was suggested, but I don't want surgery.
I am scheduled for the colonoscopy on Sept. 10. Should I wait and start the 30 days of nitroglycerin after the procedure? I should have asked her but did not think of it. I am just afraid any healing that takes place could be torn again with the colonoscopy. She also said she will only try the nitro for 30 days and if it doesn't heal, then surgery would probably be her suggestion as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jennie
Last edited by Guest on 28 Aug 2007, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Scheduled for Colonoscopy and Nitroglycerin question...

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2007, 13:52

I would go ahead and use the nitro now. I don't see any value in waiting. Most people tolerate the colonoscopy pretty well I think so you probably won't undo any healing. Plus that is still some time away and you could be better and less likely to have any additional tearing from the procedure.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 Aug 2007, 14:36

Lecia is probably right. I think the chances the colonoscopy will retear things is not that great, though it does happen.
If the nitro seems to be working, and there was a retear, you could ask the Dr. to continue the nitro a bit longer.
I sincerely hope the nitro does work for you! Why wait when you can begin getting potential relief right away?
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2007, 18:27

I will try to get the Nitro started ASAP.
Wish me luck!
Jennie

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2007, 18:40

Good luck-you'll do great!

Postby happyass » 27 Aug 2007, 18:42

my colonoscopy was great!
i was concerned too about possible injury to the fissure as i was on the healing path and i may be imagining it, but after the colonoscopy i was so much better afterwards. perhaps i got stretched down there while under and i was able to be at 'ease'.
perhaps also, being relieved that i didn't have anything bad - cancer or polyps or something else - also allowed me to finally get rid of some of the anxiety and worry about why i have been having the fissure for 3.5 years with bleeding and terrible pain.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2007, 18:55

I agree. I have had no problems since my colonoscopy. BMs are pain free and I was wondering too if I got stretched a bit down there from the colonoscopy and thats why I've had no problems since. And yes, the anxiety disappeared knowing that everything inside is fine.

Postby dano » 27 Aug 2007, 20:14

ive been on different nitro creams since like april,it took me at least a month before i noticed any actual healing taking place. for me it did mask the pain for awhile,then it gradually started working,im actually really good fissure wise,but i have a few other small issues i need to tend to down there..i would start the nitro asap as well
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 28 Aug 2007, 05:21

I feel so much better now and want to get the colonoscopy over!
Thanks,
Jennie

Postby happyass » 28 Aug 2007, 17:34

just make sure for the prep day that you have vaseline and put that on your anus before bm every single time.
i think this will help more if you will be the type of person that will go to the bathroom all day.
i know i was going like every 10 minutes after drinking the stuff and waiting about 1 hour. this went on for about 90 minutes. and so the vaseline was very helpful.
mostly i got rid of liquid stuff, which can be highly acidic coming out so that is why you want to coat your anus from further irritation.
don't forget to wash up with warm water!! NO soap.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74