Sitting after LIS

Is it painful

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Sitting after LIS

Postby Broncosgirl » 23 Mar 2015, 10:00

If I get LIS I will need to be breastfeedig whle I recover which means sitting for 15-30 min at a time.

For those who have had surgery, in your experience would it have been to painful to sit for that long? Thank you.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Re: Sitting after LIS

Postby chachacha » 23 Mar 2015, 11:10

Yes, I would never have been able to sit for that length of time during the first three weeks, but some have sat earlier. May I ask why you need to be sitting to breastfeed? My babies both woke up many times in the night and were hungry, and I just brought them into bed with me and lay on my side. I did not co-sleep however, but would return them to their cribs soon after.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Broncosgirl » 23 Mar 2015, 16:22

Hey,
I did used to nurse laying down, but for some reason my little one has protested that position. Maybe I can sit tipped to the side on my leg or something.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Broncosgirl » 24 Mar 2015, 18:55

Any others able to chime in with their experience? I'd love to know if I am delusional to think I can try to sit after surgery. Anyway able to?
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NDMK312 » 24 Mar 2015, 20:03

I'll let you know for certain after Friday. However, I will share that my CRS said I could go back to work within a week and I have a desk job. She also said I should feel minimal discomfort by day 3-5.

I had a friend who used the moby wrap and put the baby in there and walked around and did stuff while nursing. I think sitting for 15-30 minute increments will probably be fine. When in doubt just call your doc and ask. Most surgeon assistance can answer those questions as well. I'm still sending pre-surgery questions via email to her.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby tigerbutt2 » 27 Mar 2015, 20:03

I am two weeks post-LIS and just thought I would share my experience. I was able to start "knee-sitting" on the floor (with my butt between my knees, which I used to do pre-LIS for the fissure too) sort of OK by around day 3 I think. Maybe that could be a possible position for your nursing, if it doesn't feel like it's pulling things? I don't think I could have sat normally for the first 5 days or so, though I was too nervous to try before that time, so it's possible earlier would have been fine. But day 5 is when I started sitting for short periods (long enough to eat a meal, for example). I went back to work on day 10 and was surprised to discover I was OK with sitting for 1-2 hour periods. Now I'm on day 15 and have been sitting on and off most of the day, including as I type this, feeling basically normal!
tigerbutt2
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Broncosgirl » 27 Mar 2015, 20:17

Thank you! I have been sitting with the fissure which has not always been pleasant so if it's not worse than fissure pain I may just grit my teeth and bare it
Last edited by Broncosgirl on 27 Mar 2015, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby tigerbutt2 » 27 Mar 2015, 20:28

Oh, and also, I forgot to mention, but I think my CRS said pain usually peaks around day 3-4. So, even if it is worse than the fissure pain at first, and while of course there can be exceptions, hopefully it will not last long!
tigerbutt2
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?