soft stools diet

My soft stools diet

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: soft stools diet

Postby Bathboi » 19 Aug 2021, 16:11

Hey,

I'm from the UK lol I've had mine on and off for over 12 years I think. Could be longer but I draw a blank on my age at the time (I'm 39 now). First it was just uncomfortable to walk after BM. I let the doc know and it was just straight to hospital, camera up the bum and scheduled-in for botox. It worked great. Every few years I would get some mild discomfort and some blood now and again but I'd just use a bit of Rectogesic for a few days and it would be fine after that. I miss those days lol

Fast forward to around 7 weeks ago and it got to the stage where BM was unbearable with chronic constipation. After BM, I couldn't walk or even sit. I had to lay back on a recliner sofa/couch or lay in bed all day. Docs just kept saying "drink plenty of fluids and eat fiber" no matter how much I described the pain on BM's.

One thing that did anger me was that one of the docs I was seeing never prescribed (or even advised of) any other lax, after I explained an over-the-counter one (Dulcoease - just adds water to stool) didn't work. Even the Pharmacy said no other lax should be prescribed unless going to a doc. I already had!

Finally, I got the head doc of the practice to call me and finally prescribe the lax (Luaculose - adds water to the colon overall). I'm on this now and seeing how it goes. At the mo I can move and sit better after BM. It's just the BM itself that is still the issue.

The doc also prescribed Glycerol suppositories but these didn't work. They just sat there and fell out, even after a couple of hours. Sorry, but if any doc prescribes a suppository for constipation, that firm, for a fissure...they've clearly never had one before! Think I'll just stick to Vaseline if I need it lol

Thanks for the info on Magnesium citrate. I've added it to my Amazon wishlist :)
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 19 Aug 2021, 18:43

Yea I'm 33 seems a common age range. I've tried laculose or how ever you spell it. It seems to work one day then not the next so its inconstant well it was for me. Have you asked for miralax? Its called molaxole here the main ingredient is Macrogol 3350 ask your doctor if the laculose doesn't work. Most people on here use that as a stool softener i used it for 3 years i think and ive been off it now for 6wks. I'm trying to just live normal with a healthy diet no medicines just magnesium and vit c. I watch out for fiber i think it makes my bms to big. Do you have chronic constipation all the time?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby missy moo » 20 Aug 2021, 15:17

Vaseline seems to be working for me already. Day 1 painful to put on day 2 uncomfortable to put on and now day 3 painless not even uncomfortable to put the Vaseline in/on the fissures
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Bathboi » 20 Aug 2021, 19:38

Yeah, before I tried high fruit and veg and that seemed to do the job. Then it just stopped with chronic constipation. Then I was prescribed Lactulose and it worked for 2 days, then lowering to 50% (as I hit 3 BM's in one day and was really sore) made me constipated again.

The doc called this morning to checkup and it was before my morning BM. I mentioned possible gluten issues and he said that if the constipation continues on the Lactulose, they can take blood tests and stool tests to see if I have any issues with gluten (or anything else). I never realised they could do that???

After that phone call I needed to go but couldn't. I was so upset. I then remembered a trick my nan used to say - squeeze the juice of two small oranges into a mug and top it right up with hot water. It worked a charm and I went 5mins after!

I'll need to see how it is tomorrow and if I need to slightly up the dose and if I need the orange trick again.

I've yet to try Mirilax but I think it may be very different in the UK. I'll look it up and ask the doc about it. Thanks :) One other thing I've been thinking about with the lactulose is timing. Maybe it's better to take a small amount after every meal ( so a 15ml shot after breakfast, lunch and dinner). Did you try that or did you stick to two doses per day? (and is it the same for the lax you're on now).
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 21 Aug 2021, 03:47

I took mine adter breakfast and lunch im not on a softener now but it was probably the same. Why cant you use the orange trick daily could be the awnser to your problem vitamin c. Use can also do the juice of a lemon with hoh/warm water thats what i do sometimes
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby missy moo » 21 Aug 2021, 03:48

Oh laculose i didnt like it it wasn't consistent i took it midday and again before bed 15-20mils
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Bathboi » 21 Aug 2021, 09:48

I will be using the hot water and orange/lemon trick more in the future when needed. Ideally I just want the lax to do the job though (as it could still be a specific food that isn't agreeing with me that I really need to find) but it's a great backup to have when needed. Good news this morning as the lax worked on its own but I did lay off oatmeal yestarday (something I always have at some point in the day). Could well be pointing towards that but I'll need more time to make sure.

I'll defo look into the Macrogol, Magnesium citrate and some other lax to keep just in case though, as Lactulose does seem a bit hit and miss (but I'll give it a little more time to test).

I'm currently going to test lactulose with 3x 15ml shots after each meal of the day. I'll see if that makes a difference too and adjust from there.

How was it coming off the lax? Did the doc recommend it or was it a personal choice?
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 21 Aug 2021, 15:38

It was a personal choice it took about 3 days for body to realise what was going on an probably a wk till things were readjusted the magnesium an vit c took over
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Bathboi » 21 Aug 2021, 18:26

Ah, right. Thanks. Yeah, for me it was a concern as although I was happy when it started working, I couldn't help but think on trying to get off them.

The Magnesium and vitamin C are great recommendations though. Thanks :)
Bathboi
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 21 Aug 2021, 19:46

Your welcome.
missy moo
King Fissure